2005-11-06 14:52:58

by Norbert Preining

Subject: vbetool, mm kernels and mmap

Hi all!

Playing around with suspend 2 ram I have to use vbetool.
Using kernel 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 (and probably earlier) I get:

program vbetool is using MAP_PRIVATE, PROT_WRITE mmap of VM_RESERVED
memory, which is deprecated. Please report this to [email protected]

Well, here I report. It is the debian package version 0.3 of vbetool.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Universit? di Siena
LYBSTER (n., vb.)
The artificial chuckle in the voice-over at the end of a supposedly
funny television commercial.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2005-11-06 15:04:51

by Matthew Garrett

Subject: Re: vbetool, mm kernels and mmap

Norbert Preining <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Playing around with suspend 2 ram I have to use vbetool.
> Using kernel 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 (and probably earlier) I get:
>
> program vbetool is using MAP_PRIVATE, PROT_WRITE mmap of VM_RESERVED
> memory, which is deprecated. Please report this to [email protected]

It's actually coming from lrmi rather than vbetool itself. lrmi seems to
use it to set up a set of memory to mimic the <1MB space, and again to
actually gain access to low memory. Is there documentation about this
deprecation anywhere?

--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]