2006-01-18 04:52:56

by Conio sandiago

Subject: NFS problem

Hi all,
i am having some problem in having root file system on NFS,
i am developing a linux embedded system,. when i have a root file
system on a NFS and i try to boot the kernel through a repeater hub ,
then the kernel hangs at freeing init memory.

if i connect the board with the PC through a cross cable,
then the system works ok.

does anybody has some idea about it

2006-01-18 13:48:45

by Bodo Eggert

Subject: Re: NFS problem

Conio sandiago <[email protected]> wrote:

> i am having some problem in having root file system on NFS,
> i am developing a linux embedded system,. when i have a root file
> system on a NFS and i try to boot the kernel through a repeater hub ,
> then the kernel hangs at freeing init memory.
>
> if i connect the board with the PC through a cross cable,
> then the system works ok.

Can you mount nfs-shares from a desktop system through the repeater hub?
I guess, either the cable or the HUB is defective.

BTW: You should rather use a switch than a hub, especially for nfs.
--
Ich danke GMX daf?r, die Verwendung meiner Adressen mittels per SPF
verbreiteten L?gen zu sabotieren.

2006-01-18 14:58:25

by Ram Gupta

On 1/18/06, Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:
> Conio sandiago <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > i am having some problem in having root file system on NFS,
> > i am developing a linux embedded system,. when i have a root file
> > system on a NFS and i try to boot the kernel through a repeater hub ,
> > then the kernel hangs at freeing init memory.
> >
> > if i connect the board with the PC through a cross cable,
> > then the system works ok.

Just a wild guess. Does it have anything with timeout. Probably hub
introduces delays which causes the hang. Defective cable does not
seem to be a case to me otherwise there would not have been any
communication at all.

Thanks
Ram Gupta