2006-02-27 15:11:04

by Miklos Szeredi

Subject: [Announce] mountlo 0.5 - Loopback mounting in userspace

I'm proud to announce a new version of my pet project 'mountlo', a
utility which works similarly to 'mount -o loop', but the filesystem
runs entirely in userspace.

While arguably it is quite useless, I like it because it combines some
of my favorite technologies (Linux, UML and FUSE) with very little
additional glue code.

Features:

o safe mounting of filesystem images for unprivileged users
o all disk-filesystem types supported in a single binary

What's new since 0.2:

o support for partitioned disk images
o support for mount options
o error reporting both from mount and the kernel
o achieves reasonable performance using SKAS0 mode of UML
o verbose and debug modes

An i386 binary (2MB) is available at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fuse/mountlo-i386-0.5.tar.gz

Requirements for running the binary are:

- FUSE kernel module. Since 2.6.14, this is included in mainline
- FUSE utilities (at least version 2.2).

Compiling from source needs the following components:

- http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fuse/mountlo-0.5.tar.gz
- Linux-2.6.15 kernel source
- FUSE-2.5 or later devel package (or source installation)

Comments and bug reports are welcome.

Miklos

2006-02-27 17:07:38

by Jeff Dike

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:10:38PM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> I'm proud to announce a new version of my pet project 'mountlo', a
> utility which works similarly to 'mount -o loop', but the filesystem
> runs entirely in userspace.
>
> While arguably it is quite useless, I like it because it combines some
> of my favorite technologies (Linux, UML and FUSE) with very little
> additional glue code.

Very cute. I'm in the process of doing something similar, except I'm
integrating a FUSE server into the UML kernel to export the UML
filesystem to the host. So far, I can cd and ls inside the mount -
lookup and readdir are implemented.

Jeff

2006-02-27 17:20:59

by Miklos Szeredi

> > I'm proud to announce a new version of my pet project 'mountlo', a
> > utility which works similarly to 'mount -o loop', but the filesystem
> > runs entirely in userspace.
> >
> > While arguably it is quite useless, I like it because it combines some
> > of my favorite technologies (Linux, UML and FUSE) with very little
> > additional glue code.
>
> Very cute. I'm in the process of doing something similar, except I'm
> integrating a FUSE server into the UML kernel to export the UML
> filesystem to the host. So far, I can cd and ls inside the mount -
> lookup and readdir are implemented.

Great. I always wanted to do the exporting inside the kernel, but put
it off as being too hard :)

Miklos