2006-03-19 04:12:34

by Luming Yu

Subject: RE: 2.6.16-rc5: known regressions [TP 600X S3, vanilla DSDT]

>> Do you load processor driver?
>
>It's loads at boot. When thermal loads, it pulls in processor:
>
>$ lsmod | grep thermal
>thermal 17224 0
>processor 30080 1 thermal

Maybe I need to make a summary here for this issue:
1. The s3 hang is in While-loop in SMPI that looks like
waiting BIOS response.
2. If THM2, THM6, THM7 disabled, disabling THM0._TMP
fix the s3 hang.

I think you need to continue to find out which THMs, which methods
cause s3 hang when THM0._TMP disabled.
I assume the problem is:
THM0._TMP && THMx._XXX && THMy._YYY..

Thanks,
Luming

2006-03-19 14:33:13

by Sanjoy Mahajan

> Maybe I need to make a summary here for this issue:
> 1. The s3 hang is in While-loop in SMPI that looks like
> waiting BIOS response.

Right.

> 2. If THM2, THM6, THM7 disabled, disabling THM0._TMP
> fix the s3 hang.

Right. And many ways of disabling THM0._TMP fix the hang:

1. making acpi_evaluate_integer() not evaluate _TMP methods.
2. the short-term fix using acpi_in_suspend
3. taking out \_SB.PCI0.ISA0.EC0.UPDT () line from _TMP method.

> I think you need to continue to find out which THMs, which methods
> cause s3 hang when THM0._TMP disabled. I assume the problem is:
> THM0._TMP && THMx._XXX && THMy._YYY..

I agree, and am testing the other thermal methods one at a time. I
suspect that THMx.AC0 will be involved, but we'll see.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
--Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

2006-03-20 06:39:53

by Sanjoy Mahajan

> I think you need to continue to find out which THMs, which methods
> cause s3 hang when THM0._TMP disabled.

So far I've found that if (with no THM0 loaded) I load exactly one of
THM2, THM6, or THM7, then there's no hang. Now I am looking for which
combinations of the THM[0267] zones cause the problem.