2015-08-25 19:34:14

by Luis Chamberlain

Subject: Re: Problems loading firmware using built-in drivers with kernels that use initramfs.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:17:00AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Luis, did you tell me the other day that you made the kernel get firmware
> directly from the file system? This regression would be yours then?

I didn't implement that, Linus did in 2012 (see commit abb139e75c2c titled
"firmware: teach the kernel to load firmware files directly from the
filesystem"). But we used to fallback to a userspace helper when the fw was
not present and then Takashi made this optional via commit 7b1269f778782d
titled "firmware: Make user-mode helper optional". Takashi noted in the
Kconfig "The user-mode helper is no longer required unless you have a
special firmware file that resides in a non-standard path". It was not
clarified why that's true though, or what you'd need to do to ensure
that the fw would be available. It would be good for us to elaborate
on that.

More on this below.

> I can also take a look next week when I'm home from vacation.

No worries, I'll look at it.

Note that works.

> >> The same has been seen with other
> >> Intel drivers that use firmware.
> >>
> >> In this case it looks like userspace (udevd ?) is checking initramfs for
> >> pending firmware requests and returning not found if it cant find the
> >> files, but it's not re-checking for any pending firmware requests once
> >> the real FS is mounted. Is it possible to have udevd re-check the
> >> pending firmware requests after the real FS is mounted ?

We are phasing out CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER support in the kernel, support
for udev helper firmware loading was removed from systemd, the only requirement
for it now is the dell rbu driver.

Without CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER it its up to userspace or system
integrators to do the right thing and you have a few options if you are
enabling drivers as built-in:

* stuff firmware in initramfs
* built firmware into the kernel

We don't do anything special for pivot_root for built-in, I am not sure if
we should, I don't think we should... can you not do any of the above
two options?

Since folks can stuff firmware into initramfs and that's outside the scope of
how we build the kernel we can't always ensure folks will do one of the above
two options at build time for built-in drivers. If we don't want to do
something for pivot_root the only thing I think we can do is document the
expecations clearly, unless there are other ideas of course.

Luis

2015-08-25 19:46:51

by Takashi Iwai

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:34:08 +0200,
Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:17:00AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Luis, did you tell me the other day that you made the kernel get firmware
> > directly from the file system? This regression would be yours then?
>
> I didn't implement that, Linus did in 2012 (see commit abb139e75c2c titled
> "firmware: teach the kernel to load firmware files directly from the
> filesystem"). But we used to fallback to a userspace helper when the fw was
> not present and then Takashi made this optional via commit 7b1269f778782d
> titled "firmware: Make user-mode helper optional". Takashi noted in the
> Kconfig "The user-mode helper is no longer required unless you have a
> special firmware file that resides in a non-standard path". It was not
> clarified why that's true though, or what you'd need to do to ensure
> that the fw would be available. It would be good for us to elaborate
> on that.

The recent udev already dropped the firmware loading feature.

Takashi

2015-08-25 19:58:18

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:34:08 +0200,
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:17:00AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> > Luis, did you tell me the other day that you made the kernel get firmware
>> > directly from the file system? This regression would be yours then?
>>
>> I didn't implement that, Linus did in 2012 (see commit abb139e75c2c titled
>> "firmware: teach the kernel to load firmware files directly from the
>> filesystem"). But we used to fallback to a userspace helper when the fw was
>> not present and then Takashi made this optional via commit 7b1269f778782d
>> titled "firmware: Make user-mode helper optional". Takashi noted in the
>> Kconfig "The user-mode helper is no longer required unless you have a
>> special firmware file that resides in a non-standard path". It was not
>> clarified why that's true though, or what you'd need to do to ensure
>> that the fw would be available. It would be good for us to elaborate
>> on that.
>
> The recent udev already dropped the firmware loading feature.

Note that even when we had udev helper to load the firmware it was not
always reliable depending on the exact point where we requested
firmware. If request happened in probe() path before we mounted root
fs then we'd never get it loaded because we'd be waiting for devices
settle before mounting rootfs.

Either build firmware in the kernel or ramdisk (so it is always
available), or make sure request_firmware() calls are not in driver's
probe() paths.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

2015-08-25 20:26:42

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Either build firmware in the kernel or ramdisk (so it is always
> available), or make sure request_firmware() calls are not in driver's
> probe() paths.

The correct answer is almost always that second one.

Drivers that load firmware in their probe parts are generally doign
things wrong.

It's very occasionally the right thing to do - there are a few pieces
of hardware where just about _everything_ about the device is in the
firmware, and you simply can't even problem them before that, because
you don't know what they *are* before the firmware has been loaded.
The extreme case of that might be something like the base hardware
being an FPGA that has a USB interface, but before the FPGA has been
loaded, it basically has no identity. So there are probably valid
cases in theory for loading firmware at probe time, but pretty much
every single case I've ever actually seen, the probe knows what the
actual hardware is from some identifiable piece, and the actual
firmware loading should be delayed until the piece of hardware is
actually opened.

So the "load firmware in probe routine" happens, and we shouldn't
disallow it, but it should be considered a "last resort" kind of
thing.

In general, things like sound drivers should *not* need to have their
firmware in the initrd, even if you build them into the kernel. A disk
driver? Yes. Maybe the root filesystem is on that disk, and you need
the firmware for the disk driver to load it. But a sound device?
Please just make sure that you load the firmware as late as possible.

Linus

2015-08-26 05:13:02

by Jie, Yang

For request in probe(), is it possible to use request_firmware_nowait() to
wait rootfs mounted or timeout in another thread?

It looks usermodehelper_disabled is 0(at probe()) at this case then no waiting occurs
here in our testing.

Thanks,
~Keyon

> Either build firmware in the kernel or ramdisk (so it is always available), or
> make sure request_firmware() calls are not in driver's
> probe() paths.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dmitry
????{.n?+???????+%?????ݶ??w??{.n?+????{??G?????{ay?ʇڙ?,j??f???h?????????z_??(?階?ݢj"???m??????G????????????&???~???iO???z??v?^?m???? ????????I?

2015-08-26 05:30:36

by yalin wang

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 04:26, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Either build firmware in the kernel or ramdisk (so it is always
>> available), or make sure request_firmware() calls are not in driver's
>> probe() paths.
>
> The correct answer is almost always that second one.
>
> Drivers that load firmware in their probe parts are generally doign
> things wrong.
>
> It's very occasionally the right thing to do - there are a few pieces
> of hardware where just about _everything_ about the device is in the
> firmware, and you simply can't even problem them before that, because
> you don't know what they *are* before the firmware has been loaded.
> The extreme case of that might be something like the base hardware
> being an FPGA that has a USB interface, but before the FPGA has been
> loaded, it basically has no identity. So there are probably valid
> cases in theory for loading firmware at probe time, but pretty much
> every single case I've ever actually seen, the probe knows what the
> actual hardware is from some identifiable piece, and the actual
> firmware loading should be delayed until the piece of hardware is
> actually opened.
>
> So the "load firmware in probe routine" happens, and we shouldn't
> disallow it, but it should be considered a "last resort" kind of
> thing.
>
> In general, things like sound drivers should *not* need to have their
> firmware in the initrd, even if you build them into the kernel. A disk
> driver? Yes. Maybe the root filesystem is on that disk, and you need
> the firmware for the disk driver to load it. But a sound device?
> Please just make sure that you load the firmware as late as possible.

i remember lots of drivers load their firmware when some user space process
open the device node, that is to say, they load the firmware in
->open() function, at this time , you can make sure the real filesystem is ready in
most time.

i think your dsp firmware can also do like this.
you can refer to msm gnu driver:

static void load_gpu(struct drm_device *dev)
{
static DEFINE_MUTEX(init_lock);
struct msm_drm_private *priv = dev->dev_private;

mutex_lock(&init_lock);

if (!priv->gpu)
priv->gpu = adreno_load_gpu(dev);

mutex_unlock(&init_lock);
}

static int msm_open(struct drm_device *dev, struct drm_file *file)
{
struct msm_file_private *ctx;

/* For now, load gpu on open.. to avoid the requirement of having
* firmware in the initrd.
*/
load_gpu(dev);

ctx = kzalloc(sizeof(*ctx), GFP_KERNEL);
if (!ctx)
return -ENOMEM;

file->driver_priv = ctx;

return 0;
}
it load the firmware in open() function.

Thanks

2015-08-26 05:32:50

by Takashi Iwai

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 07:12:46 +0200,
Jie, Yang wrote:

> [...]

It's possible -- and even with the normal request_firmware(), in
theory. The missing piece is that you need to inform the helper to
retry the f/w loading. Currently the direct f/w loader assumes that
the file is there and returns error if not present.

If we implement a retry, another question is how to trigger it,
i.e. how the helper can know when a fs is mounted a new file is
present.

Takashi

2015-08-26 06:18:09

by Jie, Yang

Got it, thanks Takashi and all.

So looks we should(and already done for most audio firmware) implement it
as Dmitry and Linus proposed, that is to make sure request_firmware() calls
are not in driver's probe() paths.

Yalin help posted sample code for this implementation(to request firmware
in device node open) and actually I also did similar for Broadwell ADSP driver
and will send out later, thank you all.

Thanks,
~Keyon

> Takashi

2015-08-26 08:06:50

by Liam Girdwood

On Wed, 2015-08-26 at 07:17 +0100, Jie, Yang wrote:
> [...]

Keyon, we have a similar situation to that of the FPGA example that
Linus described when the DSP driver uses topology data. i.e. the audio
driver will have no PCM devices that can be opened (to initiate the FW
FW and contains the PCMs, kcontrols, graphs etc. i.e. a PCM device is
created for every PCM description found in the FW topology data.

I think the options are to either :-

1) Don not support audio DSP drivers using topology data as built-in
drivers. Audio is not really a critical system required for booting
anyway.

2) Create a default PCM for every driver that has topology data on the
assumption that every sound card will at least 1 PCM. This PCM can then
be re-configured when the FW is loaded.

Liam

2015-08-26 08:31:21

by Jie, Yang

Yep, this case is quite similar with what Linus described.

Is it possible that we can probe pcm device after firmware is loaded for this
case?

What I am thinking about is postponing all firmware related(e.g. pcm probing,
dma/dsp/ipc initialization, ...) code to that rootfs is ready and FW is loaded.

~Keyon

> Liam

????{.n?+???????+%?????ݶ??w??{.n?+????{??G?????{ay?ʇڙ?,j??f???h?????????z_??(?階?ݢj"???m??????G????????????&???~???iO???z??v?^?m???? ????????I?

2015-08-26 09:00:45

by Liam Girdwood

On Wed, 2015-08-26 at 08:29 +0000, Jie, Yang wrote:
> [...]

The PCM devices are defined in the topology data so it is only possible
to create the PCM device *after* the firmware is loaded in these
drivers.

Liam

2015-08-26 18:07:21

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Liam Girdwood
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I think the options are to either :-
>
> 1) Don not support audio DSP drivers using topology data as built-in
> drivers. Audio is not really a critical system required for booting
> anyway.

Yes, forcing it to be a module and not letting people compile it in by
mistake (and then not have it work) is an option.

That said, there are situations where people don't want to use
modules. I used to eschew them for security reasons, for example - now
I instead just do a one-time temporary key. But others may have other
reasons to try to avoid modules.

> 2) Create a default PCM for every driver that has topology data on the
> assumption that every sound card will at least 1 PCM. This PCM can then
> be re-configured when the FW is loaded.

That would seem to be the better option if it is reasonably implementable.

Of course, some kind of timer-based retry (limited *somehow*) of the
fw loading could work too, but smells really really hacky.

Linus

2015-08-27 00:55:19

by Ming Lei

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Liam Girdwood
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I think the options are to either :-
>>
>> 1) Don not support audio DSP drivers using topology data as built-in
>> drivers. Audio is not really a critical system required for booting
>> anyway.
>
> Yes, forcing it to be a module and not letting people compile it in by
> mistake (and then not have it work) is an option.
>
> That said, there are situations where people don't want to use
> modules. I used to eschew them for security reasons, for example - now
> I instead just do a one-time temporary key. But others may have other
> reasons to try to avoid modules.
>
>> 2) Create a default PCM for every driver that has topology data on the
>> assumption that every sound card will at least 1 PCM. This PCM can then
>> be re-configured when the FW is loaded.
>
> That would seem to be the better option if it is reasonably implementable.
>
> Of course, some kind of timer-based retry (limited *somehow*) of the
> fw loading could work too, but smells really really hacky.

Yeah, years ago, we discussed to use -EPROBE_DEFER for the situation,
which should be one kind of fix, but looks there were objections at that time.

thanks,

2015-08-27 01:52:26

by Lin, Mengdong

It seems this can prevent audio device driver in built-in mode to use topology drivers.

If topology is present, the vendor driver also uses request_firmware() to load the topology data file in the probe phase. Then ASoC core will create the sound card and its PCM devices.

Shall we force the device drivers that depends on topology to be configured as modules?

Thanks
Mengdong

????{.n?+???????+%?????ݶ??w??{.n?+????{??G?????{ay?ʇڙ?,j??f???h?????????z_??(?階?ݢj"???m??????G????????????&???~???iO???z??v?^?m???? ????????I?

2015-08-27 07:09:51

by Liam Girdwood

On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 01:50 +0000, Lin, Mengdong wrote:
> [...]

Yes, this is probably the best/quickest solution for the short term
until we can implement and test option 2.

Liam

2015-08-29 01:11:37

by Luis Chamberlain

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:55:13AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 AM, Liam Girdwood
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think the options are to either :-
> >>
> >> 1) Don not support audio DSP drivers using topology data as built-in
> >> drivers. Audio is not really a critical system required for booting
> >> anyway.
> >
> > Yes, forcing it to be a module and not letting people compile it in by
> > mistake (and then not have it work) is an option.
> >
> > That said, there are situations where people don't want to use
> > modules. I used to eschew them for security reasons, for example - now
> > I instead just do a one-time temporary key. But others may have other
> > reasons to try to avoid modules.
> >
> >> 2) Create a default PCM for every driver that has topology data on the
> >> assumption that every sound card will at least 1 PCM. This PCM can then
> >> be re-configured when the FW is loaded.
> >
> > That would seem to be the better option if it is reasonably implementable.
> >
> > Of course, some kind of timer-based retry (limited *somehow*) of the
> > fw loading could work too, but smells really really hacky.
>
> Yeah, years ago, we discussed to use -EPROBE_DEFER for the situation,
> which should be one kind of fix, but looks there were objections at that time.

That would still be a hack. I'll note there is also asynchronous probe support
now but to use that would also be a hack for this issue. We don't want to
encourage folks to go down that road. They'd be hacks for this issue as you
are simply delaying the driver probe for a later time and there is no guarantee
that any pivot_root() might have already been completed later to ensure your
driver's fw file is present. So it may work or it may not.

We should instead strive to be clear about expectations and requirements both
through documentation and when possible through APIs. I'll send out an RFC
which adds some grammar rules which can help us police this. I currently only
spot two drivers that require fixing.

Luis

2015-08-29 04:09:08

by Ming Lei

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:55:13AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Linus Torvalds
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Yes, forcing it to be a module and not letting people compile it in by
>> > mistake (and then not have it work) is an option.
>> >
>> > That said, there are situations where people don't want to use
>> > modules. I used to eschew them for security reasons, for example - now
>> > I instead just do a one-time temporary key. But others may have other
>> > reasons to try to avoid modules.

>> > That would seem to be the better option if it is reasonably implementable.
>> >
>> > Of course, some kind of timer-based retry (limited *somehow*) of the
>> > fw loading could work too, but smells really really hacky.
>>
>> Yeah, years ago, we discussed to use -EPROBE_DEFER for the situation,
>> which should be one kind of fix, but looks there were objections at that time.
>
> That would still be a hack. I'll note there is also asynchronous probe support
> now but to use that would also be a hack for this issue. We don't want to

If we think firmware as one kind of resources like regulators, gpio and others,
PROBE_DEFER is one good match for firmware loading case, and
it has been used by lots of drivers, so why can't it be used for
firmware loading?

One problem is that we need to convert drivers into returning -EPROBE_DEFER
in case of request failure, and that may involve some work, but which
should be mechanical.

> encourage folks to go down that road. They'd be hacks for this issue as you
> are simply delaying the driver probe for a later time and there is no guarantee
> that any pivot_root() might have already been completed later to ensure your
> driver's fw file is present. So it may work or it may not.

We can trigger defer probe explicitly once root fs is setup or other condition
is met.

> We should instead strive to be clear about expectations and requirements both
> through documentation and when possible through APIs. I'll send out an RFC
> which adds some grammar rules which can help us police this. I currently only
> spot two drivers that require fixing.
>
> Luis

2015-08-29 07:11:34

by Takashi Iwai

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 06:09:01 +0200,
Ming Lei wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:55:13AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:

> >> Yeah, years ago, we discussed to use -EPROBE_DEFER for the situation,
> >> which should be one kind of fix, but looks there were objections at that time.
> >
> > That would still be a hack. I'll note there is also asynchronous probe support
> > now but to use that would also be a hack for this issue. We don't want to
>
> If we think firmware as one kind of resources like regulators, gpio and others,
> PROBE_DEFER is one good match for firmware loading case, and
> it has been used by lots of drivers, so why can't it be used for
> firmware loading?
>
> One problem is that we need to convert drivers into returning -EPROBE_DEFER
> in case of request failure, and that may involve some work, but which
> should be mechanical.

I find such a delaying mechanism not so bad, too. It's very
straightforward, at least, no big pain in the transition in the driver
side.

> > encourage folks to go down that road. They'd be hacks for this issue as you
> > are simply delaying the driver probe for a later time and there is no guarantee
> > that any pivot_root() might have already been completed later to ensure your
> > driver's fw file is present. So it may work or it may not.
>
> We can trigger defer probe explicitly once root fs is setup or other condition
> is met.

Right, how to trigger the reprobe (and relevant optimization) needs to
be considered on top of the current mechanism.

Takashi

2015-08-29 08:50:44

by Arend van Spriel

On 08/29/2015 09:11 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 06:09:01 +0200,
> Ming Lei wrote:

>>> That would still be a hack. I'll note there is also asynchronous probe support
>>> now but to use that would also be a hack for this issue. We don't want to
>>
>> If we think firmware as one kind of resources like regulators, gpio and others,
>> PROBE_DEFER is one good match for firmware loading case, and
>> it has been used by lots of drivers, so why can't it be used for
>> firmware loading?
>>
>> One problem is that we need to convert drivers into returning -EPROBE_DEFER
>> in case of request failure, and that may involve some work, but which
>> should be mechanical.
>
> I find such a delaying mechanism not so bad, too. It's very
> straightforward, at least, no big pain in the transition in the driver
> side.

Not sure how this is going to work with request_firmware_nowait(). We
use that in our drivers to get rid of ~60 sec. delay in probe and
consequently boot time when built-in. So basically we return 0 on probe
lacking better knowledge. Guess we can always move back to
request_firmware calls when defer_probe support is available.

Regards,
Arend

>>> encourage folks to go down that road. They'd be hacks for this issue as you
>>> are simply delaying the driver probe for a later time and there is no guarantee
>>> that any pivot_root() might have already been completed later to ensure your
>>> driver's fw file is present. So it may work or it may not.
>>
>> We can trigger defer probe explicitly once root fs is setup or other condition
>> is met.
>
> Right, how to trigger the reprobe (and relevant optimization) needs to
> be considered on top of the current mechanism.
>

> Takashi

by Ming Lei

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:50:22 +0200
Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 08/29/2015 09:11 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 06:09:01 +0200,
> > Ming Lei wrote:

> >> If we think firmware as one kind of resources like regulators, gpio and others,
> >> PROBE_DEFER is one good match for firmware loading case, and
> >> it has been used by lots of drivers, so why can't it be used for
> >> firmware loading?
> >>
> >> One problem is that we need to convert drivers into returning -EPROBE_DEFER
> >> in case of request failure, and that may involve some work, but which
> >> should be mechanical.
> >
> > I find such a delaying mechanism not so bad, too. It's very
> > straightforward, at least, no big pain in the transition in the driver
> > side.
>
> Not sure how this is going to work with request_firmware_nowait(). We
> use that in our drivers to get rid of ~60 sec. delay in probe and
> consequently boot time when built-in. So basically we return 0 on probe
> lacking better knowledge. Guess we can always move back to
> request_firmware calls when defer_probe support is available.

How about the following untested draft patch?

diff --git a/drivers/base/dd.c b/drivers/base/dd.c
index be0eb46..f66912f 100644
--- a/drivers/base/dd.c
+++ b/drivers/base/dd.c
@@ -171,6 +171,12 @@ static void driver_deferred_probe_trigger(void)
queue_work(deferred_wq, &deferred_probe_work);
}

+void driver_trigger_fw_load()
+{
+ driver_deferred_probe_trigger();
+}
+EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(driver_trigger_fw_load);
+
/**
* deferred_probe_initcall() - Enable probing of deferred devices
*
diff --git a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
index 8524450..f879a07 100644
--- a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
+++ b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
@@ -1132,6 +1132,11 @@ _request_firmware(const struct firmware **firmware_p, const char *name,
if (ret <= 0) /* error or already assigned */
goto out;

+ if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING) {
+ ret = -EPROBE_DEFER;
+ goto out;
+ }
+
ret = 0;
timeout = firmware_loading_timeout();
if (opt_flags & FW_OPT_NOWAIT) {
@@ -1311,6 +1316,9 @@ request_firmware_nowait(
{
struct firmware_work *fw_work;

+ if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING)
+ return -EPROBE_DEFER;
+
fw_work = kzalloc(sizeof(struct firmware_work), gfp);
if (!fw_work)
return -ENOMEM;
diff --git a/include/linux/device.h b/include/linux/device.h
index 5d7bc63..1c189fe 100644
--- a/include/linux/device.h
+++ b/include/linux/device.h
@@ -289,6 +289,7 @@ extern struct device_driver *driver_find(const char *name,
struct bus_type *bus);
extern int driver_probe_done(void);
extern void wait_for_device_probe(void);
+extern void driver_trigger_fw_load(void);

/* sysfs interface for exporting driver attributes */
diff --git a/init/main.c b/init/main.c
index 9e64d70..be8411b 100644
--- a/init/main.c
+++ b/init/main.c
@@ -943,6 +943,9 @@ static int __ref kernel_init(void *unused)

flush_delayed_fput();

+ /* trigger probe for request_firmware and its no_wait pair */
+ driver_trigger_fw_load();
+
if (ramdisk_execute_command) {
ret = run_init_process(ramdisk_execute_command);
if (!ret)

by Arend van Spriel

On 08/29/2015 12:38 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:50:22 +0200
> Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 08/29/2015 09:11 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> I find such a delaying mechanism not so bad, too. It's very
>>> straightforward, at least, no big pain in the transition in the driver
>>> side.
>>
>> Not sure how this is going to work with request_firmware_nowait(). We
>> use that in our drivers to get rid of ~60 sec. delay in probe and
>> consequently boot time when built-in. So basically we return 0 on probe
>> lacking better knowledge. Guess we can always move back to
>> request_firmware calls when defer_probe support is available.
>
> How about the following untested draft patch?
>
> diff --git a/drivers/base/dd.c b/drivers/base/dd.c
> index be0eb46..f66912f 100644
> --- a/drivers/base/dd.c
> +++ b/drivers/base/dd.c
> @@ -171,6 +171,12 @@ static void driver_deferred_probe_trigger(void)
> queue_work(deferred_wq, &deferred_probe_work);
> }
>
> +void driver_trigger_fw_load()
> +{
> + driver_deferred_probe_trigger();
> +}
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(driver_trigger_fw_load);
> +
> /**
> * deferred_probe_initcall() - Enable probing of deferred devices
> *
> diff --git a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
> index 8524450..f879a07 100644
> --- a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
> +++ b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
> @@ -1132,6 +1132,11 @@ _request_firmware(const struct firmware **firmware_p, const char *name,
> if (ret <= 0) /* error or already assigned */
> goto out;
>
> + if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING) {
> + ret = -EPROBE_DEFER;
> + goto out;
> + }
> +
> ret = 0;
> timeout = firmware_loading_timeout();
> if (opt_flags & FW_OPT_NOWAIT) {
> @@ -1311,6 +1316,9 @@ request_firmware_nowait(
> {
> struct firmware_work *fw_work;
>
> + if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING)
> + return -EPROBE_DEFER;
> +

Does this mean a built-in driver can not get firmware from initramfs or
built in the kernel early. Seems a bit too aggressive. The problem
stated in this thread is when the firmware is not on initramfs but only
on the rootfs.

Regards,
Arend

> fw_work = kzalloc(sizeof(struct firmware_work), gfp);
> if (!fw_work)
> return -ENOMEM;
> diff --git a/include/linux/device.h b/include/linux/device.h
> index 5d7bc63..1c189fe 100644
> --- a/include/linux/device.h
> +++ b/include/linux/device.h
> @@ -289,6 +289,7 @@ extern struct device_driver *driver_find(const char *name,
> struct bus_type *bus);
> extern int driver_probe_done(void);
> extern void wait_for_device_probe(void);
> +extern void driver_trigger_fw_load(void);
>

> /* sysfs interface for exporting driver attributes */
> diff --git a/init/main.c b/init/main.c
> index 9e64d70..be8411b 100644
> --- a/init/main.c
> +++ b/init/main.c
> @@ -943,6 +943,9 @@ static int __ref kernel_init(void *unused)
>
> flush_delayed_fput();
>
> + /* trigger probe for request_firmware and its no_wait pair */
> + driver_trigger_fw_load();
> +
> if (ramdisk_execute_command) {
> ret = run_init_process(ramdisk_execute_command);
> if (!ret)
>

> Thanks,

2015-08-30 18:11:35

by Linus Torvalds

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 08/29/2015 12:38 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
>
> Does this mean a built-in driver can not get firmware from initramfs or
> built in the kernel early. Seems a bit too aggressive.

Yeah, that seems wrong. Loading firmware from initramfs is required
for some things, like disk drivers. Of course, depending on how it's
done, it's all after the SYSTEM_BOOTING phase, but ..

What we *might* do is to not allow it for the user-mode helper
fallback, but I think it's more likely that we'll just deprecate the
usermode helper fw loader entirely, so adding new error cases for it
seems pointless.

Linus

2015-08-31 14:21:39

by Ming Lei

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 08/29/2015 12:38 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:50:22 +0200
>> Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Not sure how this is going to work with request_firmware_nowait(). We
>>> use that in our drivers to get rid of ~60 sec. delay in probe and
>>> consequently boot time when built-in. So basically we return 0 on probe
>>> lacking better knowledge. Guess we can always move back to
>>> request_firmware calls when defer_probe support is available.
>>

>> How about the following untested draft patch?
>>
>> diff --git a/drivers/base/dd.c b/drivers/base/dd.c
>> index be0eb46..f66912f 100644
>> --- a/drivers/base/dd.c
>> +++ b/drivers/base/dd.c
>> @@ -171,6 +171,12 @@ static void driver_deferred_probe_trigger(void)
>> queue_work(deferred_wq, &deferred_probe_work);
>> }
>>
>> +void driver_trigger_fw_load()
>> +{
>> + driver_deferred_probe_trigger();
>> +}
>> +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(driver_trigger_fw_load);
>> +
>> /**
>> * deferred_probe_initcall() - Enable probing of deferred devices
>> *
>> diff --git a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
>> index 8524450..f879a07 100644
>> --- a/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
>> +++ b/drivers/base/firmware_class.c
>> @@ -1132,6 +1132,11 @@ _request_firmware(const struct firmware
>> **firmware_p, const char *name,
>> if (ret <= 0) /* error or already assigned */
>> goto out;
>>
>> + if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING) {
>> + ret = -EPROBE_DEFER;
>> + goto out;
>> + }
>> +
>> ret = 0;
>> timeout = firmware_loading_timeout();
>> if (opt_flags & FW_OPT_NOWAIT) {
>> @@ -1311,6 +1316,9 @@ request_firmware_nowait(
>> {
>> struct firmware_work *fw_work;
>>
>> + if (system_state == SYSTEM_BOOTING)
>> + return -EPROBE_DEFER;
>> +
>

> Does this mean a built-in driver can not get firmware from initramfs or
> built in the kernel early. Seems a bit too aggressive. The problem stated in
> this thread is when the firmware is not on initramfs but only on the rootfs.

Yes, strictly speaking, user mode request can't be handled with defer probe
during booting because we don't know how the user helper handles the
request, that said even checking if the firmware exists in current path doesn't
make sense for user mode request.

So the patch should have used defer proble for direct load only
during booting.

> Regards,
> Arend
>

>> fw_work = kzalloc(sizeof(struct firmware_work), gfp);
>> if (!fw_work)
>> return -ENOMEM;
>> diff --git a/include/linux/device.h b/include/linux/device.h
>> index 5d7bc63..1c189fe 100644
>> --- a/include/linux/device.h
>> +++ b/include/linux/device.h
>> @@ -289,6 +289,7 @@ extern struct device_driver *driver_find(const char
>> *name,
>> struct bus_type *bus);
>> extern int driver_probe_done(void);
>> extern void wait_for_device_probe(void);
>> +extern void driver_trigger_fw_load(void);
>>

>> /* sysfs interface for exporting driver attributes */
>> diff --git a/init/main.c b/init/main.c
>> index 9e64d70..be8411b 100644
>> --- a/init/main.c
>> +++ b/init/main.c
>> @@ -943,6 +943,9 @@ static int __ref kernel_init(void *unused)
>>
>> flush_delayed_fput();
>>
>> + /* trigger probe for request_firmware and its no_wait pair */
>> + driver_trigger_fw_load();
>> +
>> if (ramdisk_execute_command) {
>> ret = run_init_process(ramdisk_execute_command);
>> if (!ret)
>>

>> Thanks,

2015-12-17 19:24:38

by Luis Chamberlain

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 08/29/2015 12:38 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
>>
>> Does this mean a built-in driver can not get firmware from initramfs or
>> built in the kernel early. Seems a bit too aggressive.
>
> Yeah, that seems wrong. Loading firmware from initramfs is required
> for some things, like disk drivers. Of course, depending on how it's
> done, it's all after the SYSTEM_BOOTING phase, but ..
>
> What we *might* do is to not allow it for the user-mode helper
> fallback,

FWIW, that's what we did, request_firmware_direct() now skips the
silly usermode helper. I'll note that Greg pointed out to me that
Daniel (was this right?) might have some use cases for the usermode
helper in the future on graphics though. Daniel is that right? Can you
clarify the use case, I'd just like to document this and keep it in
mind for future design changes on firmware_class. Also, it occurs to
me that if you have a need for it, perhaps others might and if we can
avoid *others* from coming up with their own solution that'd be best,
specifically as this is related to file loading -- more on this later
generalized possible use cases in another thread I'll Cc you folks on.

> but I think it's more likely that we'll just deprecate the
> usermode helper fw loader entirely, so adding new error cases for it
> seems pointless.

I was shooting hard to deprecate the usermodehelper, Greg has noted
that we can only phase it out though, so that is what I will be
shooting for: a sysdata API, what will have firmware signing support
later will *not* make use of the usermode helper. The old APIs will
still use it.

[0] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email protected]

Luis