2009-12-16 10:55:59

by Liu, Jinsong

Subject: seabios question

Hi, Avi

Recently I want to update hvm vcpu add/remove feature of KVM.
I go through qemu-kvm, find that original boch vbios code (i.e, qemu-kvm/kvm/bios/acpi-dsdt.asl, ...) has been removed.

Now qemu-kvm use seabios git repo http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/seabios.git;a=summary as its vbios, right?
If I want to update seabios dsdt logic, may I build and then copy seabios/out/bios.bin to qemu-kvm/pc-bios/bios.bin?
and, I rebuild qemu-kvm and my update of seabios will take effect at kvm qemu side, right?

Thanks,
Jinsong-

2009-12-16 10:59:20

by Avi Kivity

Subject: Re: seabios question

On 12/16/2009 12:55 PM, Liu, Jinsong wrote:
> Hi, Avi
>
> Recently I want to update hvm vcpu add/remove feature of KVM.
> I go through qemu-kvm, find that original boch vbios code (i.e, qemu-kvm/kvm/bios/acpi-dsdt.asl, ...) has been removed.
>
> Now qemu-kvm use seabios git repo http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/seabios.git;a=summary as its vbios, right?
> If I want to update seabios dsdt logic, may I build and then copy seabios/out/bios.bin to qemu-kvm/pc-bios/bios.bin?
> and, I rebuild qemu-kvm and my update of seabios will take effect at kvm qemu side, right?

Correct. You also need a 'make install', since qemu will pick up the
bios from /usr/local/share/qemu/bios.bin.

by Gleb Natapov

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:55:47PM +0800, Liu, Jinsong wrote:
> Hi, Avi
>
> Recently I want to update hvm vcpu add/remove feature of KVM.
> I go through qemu-kvm, find that original boch vbios code (i.e, qemu-kvm/kvm/bios/acpi-dsdt.asl, ...) has been removed.
>
> Now qemu-kvm use seabios git repo http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/seabios.git;a=summary as its vbios, right?
> If I want to update seabios dsdt logic, may I build and then copy seabios/out/bios.bin to qemu-kvm/pc-bios/bios.bin?
> and, I rebuild qemu-kvm and my update of seabios will take effect at kvm qemu side, right?

Seabios not yet supports vCPU hot plug/unplug.

--
Gleb.

2009-12-16 11:06:55

by Liu, Jinsong

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 12:55 PM, Liu, Jinsong wrote:
>> Hi, Avi
>>
>> Recently I want to update hvm vcpu add/remove feature of KVM.
>> I go through qemu-kvm, find that original boch vbios code (i.e,
>> qemu-kvm/kvm/bios/acpi-dsdt.asl, ...) has been removed.
>>
>> Now qemu-kvm use seabios git repo
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/seabios.git;a=summary as its
>> vbios, right?
>> If I want to update seabios dsdt logic, may I build and then copy
>> seabios/out/bios.bin to qemu-kvm/pc-bios/bios.bin? and, I rebuild
>> qemu-kvm and my update of seabios will take effect at kvm qemu side,
>> right?
>>

> Correct. You also need a 'make install', since qemu will pick up the
> bios from /usr/local/share/qemu/bios.bin.

Thanks Avi :)

Jinsong-

2009-12-16 11:07:22

by Liu, Jinsong

Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:55:47PM +0800, Liu, Jinsong wrote:
>> Hi, Avi
>>
>> Recently I want to update hvm vcpu add/remove feature of KVM.
>> I go through qemu-kvm, find that original boch vbios code (i.e,
>> qemu-kvm/kvm/bios/acpi-dsdt.asl, ...) has been removed.
>>
>> Now qemu-kvm use seabios git repo
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/seabios.git;a=summary as its
>> vbios, right?
>> If I want to update seabios dsdt logic, may I build and then copy
>> seabios/out/bios.bin to qemu-kvm/pc-bios/bios.bin? and, I rebuild
>> qemu-kvm and my update of seabios will take effect at kvm qemu side,
>> right?
>>
> Seabios not yet supports vCPU hot plug/unplug.

Yes, I notice that, thanks for remind!-