2002-11-16 00:11:43

by Mehdi Hashemian

Subject: High Memory question

Hello,

Going through different parts of Kernel, I am trying to figure out if I need
to change /page.h/__PAGE_OFFSET to some smaller value when compiling with
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G option to support more than 1G physical memory. Other than
that, I can not figure out how virtual address for vmalloc and ioremap are
going to fit above logical addresses.

Any comment appreciated!
Mehdi

by Martin J. Bligh

Subject: Re: High Memory question

> Going through different parts of Kernel, I am trying to figure out if I need to change /page.h/__PAGE_OFFSET to some smaller value when compiling with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G option to support more than 1G physical memory.

No.

> Other than that, I can not figure out how virtual address for vmalloc and ioremap are going to fit above logical addresses.

By default it'll be the top 128Mb of RAM. Phys addrs are not mapped
1-1 onto virtual if you have highmem any more.

M.