2001-04-10 14:10:46

by Ofer Fryman

Subject: network cards (drivers) performance.

Has any one tested the performance of the Tulip or AMD cards (or any other
network card) on any Linux version, with any CPU and any chip-set?

2001-04-10 14:30:48

by Bart Trojanowski

Subject: Re: network cards (drivers) performance.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ofer Fryman wrote:

> Has any one tested the performance of the Tulip or AMD cards (or any other
> network card) on any Linux version, with any CPU and any chip-set?

Wow... that's a pretty broad question!

Yes I have had very good performance with the 'recent' tulip cards:

# lspci | grep DECchip
04:08.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)
04:09.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)

I have been able to tunnel about 186 Mbits/s on a P3Xeon/866 on any 2.4.{1,3}
kernel with two of the above cards (tulip driver). Note that this means
full duplex was on and the box was forwarding a total of 186 MBits of data
fron one NIC to another; actually it was 93 in each direction. Fast
routing (a la CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE) was _not_ compiled into the kernel.

B.

--
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

2001-04-10 14:43:22

by Ofer Fryman

At what frame size?.

Thanks
Ofer

> Has any one tested the performance of the Tulip or AMD cards (or any other
> network card) on any Linux version, with any CPU and any chip-set?

Wow... that's a pretty broad question!

Yes I have had very good performance with the 'recent' tulip cards:

# lspci | grep DECchip
04:08.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
04:09.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)

I have been able to tunnel about 186 Mbits/s on a P3Xeon/866 on any
2.4.{1,3}
kernel with two of the above cards (tulip driver). Note that this means
full duplex was on and the box was forwarding a total of 186 MBits of data
fron one NIC to another; actually it was 93 in each direction. Fast
routing (a la CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE) was _not_ compiled into the kernel.

B.

--
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

2001-04-10 14:46:31

by Bart Trojanowski

I used 1024 byte IP packet size (+12 bytes of Ethernet header) under 1500
MTU.

--
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/