2000-12-03 06:30:39

by Saber Taylor

Subject: lost dirs after fsck-1.18 (kt133, ide, dma, test10, test11)

Well that's the last time I run a devel kernel with a nontest
system. sigh.

Had one directory replaced with a different directory
and also a directory replaced with a file. Possible further
corruption.

I don't think I lost the directories until I did a 'fsck -y'
on the partition. Something to remember.

If anyone has advice on recovering the directories other than
the following links, I'm all ears:

http://www.datafoundation.org/lde/
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html
(last updated February 1999)
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion-Dir-Struct/

Saber Taylor

by Mohammad A. Haque

You saying that you were running test kernels on a production box and
seriously didn't expect something bad to happen?

Filesystem corruptions arent things you can recover files from. You're
confusing accidentally deleting files and undeleting them later.

What would be useful is if you noted where/why you ran 'fsck -y'. Did
you crash and fs check at boot failed? What?

Saber Taylor wrote:

> Well that's the last time I run a devel kernel with a nontest
> system. sigh.
>
> Had one directory replaced with a different directory
> and also a directory replaced with a file. Possible further
> corruption.
>
> I don't think I lost the directories until I did a 'fsck -y'
> on the partition. Something to remember.
>
> If anyone has advice on recovering the directories other than
> the following links, I'm all ears:
>
> http://www.datafoundation.org/lde/
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html
> (last updated February 1999)
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion-Dir-Struct/
>
> Saber Taylor

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Theodore Ts'o

From: "Saber Taylor" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 05:59:47 -0000

Well that's the last time I run a devel kernel with a nontest
system. sigh.

Had one directory replaced with a different directory
and also a directory replaced with a file. Possible further
corruption.

I don't think I lost the directories until I did a 'fsck -y'
on the partition. Something to remember.

If it was just the directories that got lost, the files should have
been reparented to the /lost+found directory for that filesystrem. If
however the bug wiped out part of your inode table, then you would have
probably lost both the directory and the files in that directory, since
directories and files tend to be stored in the same block group.

If anyone has advice on recovering the directories other than
the following links, I'm all ears:

Without more details about how the corruption happened or what the
nature of the corruption is, it's hard to give good general advice.
Those websites aren't bad places to start. Good luck.....

- Ted