2003-01-20 16:56:31

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: egcs (or compatible) compiler

I tried to find the "latest and greatest" gcc compiler that
will compile the kernel. I can't find the source anywhere!
Apparently, gnu doesn't "do" the compiler anymore, it's now
called egcs and is supposed to be on goof.com according to
the links from the GCC home page. They only have patches.
The last source-code I have been able to find for gcc is
gcc-3.0.1.tar.gz and it won't even compile under egcs-2.9.1.66
(which I installed about a year ago before it became unavailable
and dissappeared).

So, what gives? Any hints on how I get the source of the most
recommended gcc, that will actually compile on a previous version
of gcc? I'm presently using egcs-2.9.1.66, but newer kernels won't
compile using it. They fail to link with "__rawmemchr" errors, i.e.,
caused by code that gets the string-length by doing strchr(s, 0),
i.e., looks for the null. This envokes some __rammemchr() function
that doesn't exist.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

by Scott Robert Ladd

Subject: RE: egcs (or compatible) compiler

Hi,

Try: http://gcc.gnu.org

..Scott

by Christopher Faylor

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:52:52PM -0500, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Try: http://gcc.gnu.org

Or even (after three minutes of searching) http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html .

cgf

2003-01-20 18:08:40

by Daniel Jacobowitz

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:07:52PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> I tried to find the "latest and greatest" gcc compiler that
> will compile the kernel. I can't find the source anywhere!
> Apparently, gnu doesn't "do" the compiler anymore, it's now
> called egcs and is supposed to be on goof.com according to
> the links from the GCC home page. They only have patches.
> The last source-code I have been able to find for gcc is
> gcc-3.0.1.tar.gz and it won't even compile under egcs-2.9.1.66
> (which I installed about a year ago before it became unavailable
> and dissappeared).

And you found this... where, on what GCC home page? It's pretty sorely
out of date.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer

2003-01-20 18:05:31

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

> "Richard B. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I tried to find the "latest and greatest" gcc compiler that
> >will compile the kernel. I can't find the source anywhere!
>
> As another one mentioned : http://gcc.gnu.org/
>
> >Apparently, gnu doesn't "do" the compiler anymore, it's now
> >called egcs and is supposed to be on goof.com according to
>
> This was true 2.5 years ago (when RedHat-6.2 was new). gcc
> development/maintenance was somewhat down so the FSF handed gcc
> maintainance over to the pgcc people.
>
> >the links from the GCC home page. They only have patches.
> >The last source-code I have been able to find for gcc is
> >gcc-3.0.1.tar.gz and it won't even compile under egcs-2.9.1.66
>
> gcc-3.2.1 is there: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/
>
> >(which I installed about a year ago before it became unavailable
> >and dissappeared).
> >
> >So, what gives? Any hints on how I get the source of the most
> >recommended gcc, that will actually compile on a previous version
>
> It depends - gcc-3.2 needs/wants glibc-2.2.90 and some folks on lkml
> use it (so I assume - at least for x86 - gcc-3.2 works).
> "Officially" recommende ist gcc-2.95.3 and 2.95.4 AFAIK.
>
> >of gcc? I'm presently using egcs-2.9.1.66, but newer kernels won't
> >compile using it. They fail to link with "__rawmemchr" errors, i.e.,
>
> I use gcc-2.95.4 on almost-stock RedHat-6.2 (which has a glibc-2.1.3)
> built from a src.rpm to be found on http://rpmfind.net - depends how
> you want to build/install the gcc.
>
> Bernd
> --
> Bernd Petrovitsch Email : [email protected]
> g.a.m.s gmbh Fax : +43 1 205255-900
> Prinz-Eugen-Stra?e 8 A-1040 Vienna/Austria/Europe
> LUGA : http://www.luga.at

Okay. Thanks everyone. I found it. Aparently something was "down"
this morning when I was trying to get the sources off from gnu.
I just downloaded gcc-2.3

However, it has the same problem. It won't compile with the egcs-2.91.66
version installed here.

c-parse.o c-lang.o attribs.o c-errors.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o c-decl.o c-typeck.o c-convert.o c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-format.o c-semantics.o c-objc-common.o libcpp.a main.o libbackend.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
libbackend.a(dwarf2out.o): In function `output_die':
/usr/src/gcc-3.2/gcc/dwarf2out.c:6283: undefined reference to `__rawmemchr'
libbackend.a(stmt.o): In function `resolve_operand_name_1':
/usr/src/gcc-3.2/gcc/stmt.c:2145: undefined reference to `__rawmemchr'
/usr/src/gcc-3.2/gcc/stmt.c:2180: undefined reference to `__rawmemchr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [cc1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcc-3.2/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

This comes from using strchr(s, 0), to find the end of a string! I can't
find anything about '__rawmemchr()' so I don't know how to make one.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

by Scott Robert Ladd

Hi,

The page you found is out-of-date by about a month; for example, it doesn't
list the new parser added on 27 December, or the precompiled header support
added on 10 January.

In my experience, http://gcc.gnu.org is the most current resource.

..Scott

2003-01-20 20:25:36