2001-07-07 20:39:05

by Vibol Hou

Subject: Machine check exception? (2.4.6+SMP+VIA)

Hi,

I was running 2.4.6-stable in SMP mode on a dual P3-1GHz machine (VIA 694D
Chipset / MSI-6321 M/B + ) and the following message popped up after which
the system hardlocked (no SysRQ input). What does this message mean?

CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
Bank 1: b200000000000115
Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
delta kernel: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004

Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
delta kernel: Bank 1: b200000000000115

Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
delta kernel: Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

--
Vibol Hou

2001-07-07 20:55:28

by H. Peter Anvin

By author: "Vibol Hou" <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hi,
>
> I was running 2.4.6-stable in SMP mode on a dual P3-1GHz machine (VIA 694D
> Chipset / MSI-6321 M/B + ) and the following message popped up after which
> the system hardlocked (no SysRQ input). What does this message mean?
>
> CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Bank 1: b200000000000115
> Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt
>
> Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
> delta kernel: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
>
> Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
> delta kernel: Bank 1: b200000000000115
>
> Message from syslogd@delta at Sat Jul 7 13:18:36 2001 ...
> delta kernel: Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

It means your hardware is bad.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

2001-07-07 21:41:18

by Alan

> I was running 2.4.6-stable in SMP mode on a dual P3-1GHz machine (VIA 694D
> Chipset / MSI-6321 M/B + ) and the following message popped up after which
> the system hardlocked (no SysRQ input). What does this message mean?
>
> CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Bank 1: b200000000000115
> Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

It means your processor flagged a fault. The b2....115 number decodes to info
about the fault cause if you grab the PIII manual.

Stupid things like overheating. wrong voltages can also trigger it

2001-07-08 07:28:54

by Chris Wedgwood