2007-05-22 22:44:06

by Emmanuel Fusté

Subject: [INPUT] i8042 not detecting AUX port

Hello,

Just to let you know that since I jumped from 2.6.16 to
2.6.20.7 and 2.6.21, I need the i8042.noloop option to get the
AUX port detected.
Without this option, the kernel silently omit the AUX port,
only the KBD port is detected.

If Dmitry is interested by a debug log, I will recompile a
kernel with i8042.debug support.
I will try first to add the patch from Roland Scheidegger
witch is in the Linus tree.

Emmanuel.
---

Cr?ez votre adresse ?lectronique [email protected]
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus int?gr?s.

2007-05-23 02:50:41

by Dmitry Torokhov

Subject: Re: [INPUT] i8042 not detecting AUX port

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 18:23, Emmanuel Fust? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just to let you know that since I jumped from 2.6.16 to
> 2.6.20.7 and 2.6.21, I need the i8042.noloop option to get the
> AUX port detected.
> Without this option, the kernel silently omit the AUX port,
> only the KBD port is detected.
>
> If Dmitry is interested by a debug log, I will recompile a
> kernel with i8042.debug support.

You do not need to recompile anymore, just boot with i8042.debug.

> I will try first to add the patch from Roland Scheidegger
> witch is in the Linus tree.

I doubt it will help, but I'd appreciate a dmesg with debug information
from 2.6.21 or 2.6.22-rc2.

Thannk you.

--
Dmitry

2007-05-23 20:41:22

by Emmanuel Fusté

Hi,
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 22 May 2007 18:23, Emmanuel Fust? wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just to let you know that since I jumped from 2.6.16 to
> > 2.6.20.7 and 2.6.21, I need the i8042.noloop option to get the
> > AUX port detected.
> > Without this option, the kernel silently omit the AUX port,
> > only the KBD port is detected.
> >
> > If Dmitry is interested by a debug log, I will recompile a
> > kernel with i8042.debug support.
>
> You do not need to recompile anymore, just boot with
i8042.debug.

Ok loglevel=8 and i8042.debug do the trick.

> > I will try first to add the patch from Roland Scheidegger
> > witch is in the Linus tree.
>
> I doubt it will help, but I'd appreciate a dmesg with debug
information
> from 2.6.21 or 2.6.22-rc2.

You will find attached two gziped complete boot/shutdown
logfiles. One with noloop one without.
I did not try to recompile the kernel, I'm still busy updating
the machine which did not have inet connectivity and it is a
slow machine (which need a recompiled SMP kernel first).
I hope it could help to spot the problem.

Thanks,
Emmanuel.
---

Cr?ez votre adresse ?lectronique [email protected]
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus int?gr?s.

Attachments:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?log=5Fwithout=5Fnoloop=2Etxt=2Egz?= (5.86 kB)
=?iso-8859-1?Q?log=5Fwith=5Fnoloop=2Etxt=2Egz?= (7.17 kB)

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 16:41, Emmanuel Fusté wrote:
> Hi,
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tuesday 22 May 2007 18:23, Emmanuel Fusté wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Just to let you know that since I jumped from 2.6.16 to
> > > 2.6.20.7 and 2.6.21, I need the i8042.noloop option to get the
> > > AUX port detected.
> > > Without this option, the kernel silently omit the AUX port,
> > > only the KBD port is detected.
> > >
> > > If Dmitry is interested by a debug log, I will recompile a
> > > kernel with i8042.debug support.
> >
> > You do not need to recompile anymore, just boot with
> i8042.debug.
> >
> Ok loglevel=8 and i8042.debug do the trick.

Hmm, it looks like your box does not want to generate interrupts for
loop command. Oh, well... I think the best solution would be to
automatically set i8042_noloop on your box. Can I please get dmidecode
output?

--
Dmitry

2007-05-24 20:50:25

by Emmanuel Fusté

> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 16:41, Emmanuel Fust? wrote:
> > Hi,
> > > Hi,

> > > You do not need to recompile anymore, just boot with
> > i8042.debug.
> > >
> > Ok loglevel=8 and i8042.debug do the trick.
> >

> Hmm, it looks like your box does not want to generate
interrupts for
> loop command. Oh, well... I think the best solution would be to
> automatically set i8042_noloop on your box. Can I please get
dmidecode
> output?

I attached the dmidecode output.
DMI is somewhat broken with this old BIOS.
I checked the config space of the 82371SB(PII3). It seems that
my bios did not get the XCBS register right(4Eh): IRQ12/M
Mouse function Enable is set to 0.
This bios is full of bugs, a real plague. Will try to quirk
this register at boot time.

Best regards,
Emmanuel.

Cr?ez votre adresse ?lectronique [email protected]
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus int?gr?s.

Attachments:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?dmidecode=2Etxt?= (9.27 kB)

2007-05-25 03:10:41

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Thursday 24 May 2007 16:50, Emmanuel Fusté wrote:
> This bios is full of bugs, a real plague. Will try to quirk
> this register at boot time.

There isn't an updated BIOS, is there?

--
Dmitry

2007-05-25 08:58:27

by Emmanuel Fusté

> On Thursday 24 May 2007 16:50, Emmanuel Fust? wrote:
> > This bios is full of bugs, a real plague. Will try to quirk
> > this register at boot time.
> >

> There isn't an updated BIOS, is there?

No update, the latest one was from 1997. I tried in 2003 to
get a update from esupport.com but they never give me a bios
which boot the machine. This computer was a ephemeral beast
(dual P5mmx).

---

Cr?ez votre adresse ?lectronique [email protected]
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus int?gr?s.

2007-05-26 22:01:31

by Emmanuel Fusté

Hi,

> > On Thursday 24 May 2007 16:50, Emmanuel Fust? wrote:
> > > This bios is full of bugs, a real plague. Will try to quirk
> > > this register at boot time.
I tried, but it did not change the behavior of the loop command.
Will stick with i8042.noloop as boot parameter.
Thank you for your time.

> > There isn't an updated BIOS, is there?
> >
> No update, the latest one was from 1997. I tried in 2003 to
> get a update from esupport.com but they never give me a bios
> which boot the machine. This computer was a ephemeral beast
> (dual P5mmx).

Best regards,
Emmanuel.

---

Cr?ez votre adresse ?lectronique [email protected]
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus int?gr?s.

2007-06-12 22:09:24

by Emmanuel Fusté

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay with my reply. Coudl youplease try the
attached
> patch and tell me if it works for you without i8042.noloop
on the
> command line?
Hello,

Tested and work fine as intended.