2004-06-10 23:10:10

by Vadim Garber ENEnet

Subject: touchpad (PS/2) mouse detection problem.

Hello,

I've compiled the 2.6.6 kernel, and I can't seem to get my laptops
touchpad to get detected.
The touchpad runs on the ps/2 protocol; so it seems like there would be
no problems with
detection. But of course I'm not a very lucky person ;-). The touchpad
itself does have an
on/off botton; and I've made sure to keep it ON. This is a strange
problem because I don't
seem to have it in older kernels (2.4.x). Cat'ing
/proc/bus/input/devices also doesn't turn up
any useful information; just returns my keyboard (which works; yepi!).
I've compiled
psmouse both into the kernel and as a module; both don't work.

dmesg only shows "mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice" but no
'input:' line.

Regards,

Vadim Garber
vadim at enenet dot com

2004-06-11 12:20:52

by Giuseppe Bilotta

Subject: Re: touchpad (PS/2) mouse detection problem.

Vadim Garber ENEnet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've compiled the 2.6.6 kernel, and I can't seem to get my laptops
> touchpad to get detected.
> The touchpad runs on the ps/2 protocol; so it seems like there would be
> no problems with
> detection. But of course I'm not a very lucky person ;-). The touchpad
> itself does have an
> on/off botton; and I've made sure to keep it ON. This is a strange
> problem because I don't
> seem to have it in older kernels (2.4.x). Cat'ing
> /proc/bus/input/devices also doesn't turn up
> any useful information; just returns my keyboard (which works; yepi!).
> I've compiled
> psmouse both into the kernel and as a module; both don't work.
>
> dmesg only shows "mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice" but no
> 'input:' line.

More info on the laptop mfgr/series/model and the touchpad
type? Which input modules do you have, compiled in or as
modules?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollar and cents
Pounds shillings and pence
(Roger Waters)

2004-06-11 15:18:41

by Vadim Garber ENEnet

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Vadim Garber ENEnet wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I've compiled the 2.6.6 kernel, and I can't seem to get my laptops
>>touchpad to get detected.
>>The touchpad runs on the ps/2 protocol; so it seems like there would be
>>no problems with
>>detection. But of course I'm not a very lucky person ;-). The touchpad
>>itself does have an
>>on/off botton; and I've made sure to keep it ON. This is a strange
>>problem because I don't
>>seem to have it in older kernels (2.4.x). Cat'ing
>>/proc/bus/input/devices also doesn't turn up
>>any useful information; just returns my keyboard (which works; yepi!).
>>I've compiled
>>psmouse both into the kernel and as a module; both don't work.
>>
>>dmesg only shows "mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice" but no
>>'input:' line.
>>

>More info on the laptop mfgr/series/model and the touchpad
>type? Which input modules do you have, compiled in or as
>modules?

laptop: Compaq Presario 3190 (US), touchpad is an alps
ps/2 protocol pad, and I've compiled the psmouse as a
module (but I have also tried compiling it into the kernel).
I've also patched the kernel with the alps patch as directed.

--- Userland interfaces
--- Mouse interface
(1024) Horizontal screen resolution
(768) Vertical screen resolution
< > Joystick interface
<M> Touchscreen interface
(240) Horizontal screen resolution
(320) Vertical screen resolution
<M> Event interface
< > Event debugging
--- Input I/O drivers
< > Gameport support
< > Serial port line discipline
< > ct82c710 Aux port controller
< > Parallel port keyboard adapter
< > PCI PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse controller
--- Input Device Drivers
--- Keyboards
< > Sun Type 4 and Type 5 keyboard support
< > DECstation/VAXstation LK201/LK401 keyboard support
< > XT Keyboard support
< > Newton keyboard
[*] Mice
<M> PS/2 mouse
< > Serial mouse
< > DEC VSXXX-AA/GA mouse and VSXXX-AB tablet
[ ] Joysticks
[ ] Touchscreens
[ ] Misc

regards,

vadim

2004-06-11 19:39:41

by Giuseppe Bilotta

Vadim Garber ENEnet wrote:
> < > PCI PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse controller
^^^

You need this too.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense
Expressed in dollar and cents
Pounds shillings and pence
(Roger Waters)

2004-06-12 12:17:22

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:39:21PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Vadim Garber ENEnet wrote:
> > < > PCI PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse controller
> ^^^
>
> You need this too.

Definitely not. This is a driver for a PCI PS/2 controller so far found
only in a Mobility Electronic docking station.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

2004-06-12 15:31:13

by Giuseppe Bilotta

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:39:21PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> > Vadim Garber ENEnet wrote:
> > > < > PCI PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse controller
> > ^^^
> >
> > You need this too.
>
> Definitely not. This is a driver for a PCI PS/2 controller so far found
> only in a Mobility Electronic docking station.

Ok, I'll just go sit in a corner and shut up. :)

Anyway, FWIW, my kernel configuration in those wereabouts is as
follows:

#
# Input device support
#