2003-02-03 04:24:57

by James Williams

Subject: 3Comm 3CR990-TX-97 NIC

Originally to: All

Hello,

Has anyone ever got 3com's 3cr990 Nic card to work in Linux. If, so how? What
driver did you use, and where to find it. BTW, this is the card with '3 DES 168
bit encryption' and it has onboard the 3xp processor. Any help will be
appreciated.

thx, James

2003-02-03 04:31:01

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: 3Comm 3CR990-TX-97 NIC

James Williams wrote:
> Originally to: All
>
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever got 3com's 3cr990 Nic card to work in Linux. If, so how? What
> driver did you use, and where to find it. BTW, this is the card with '3 DES 168
> bit encryption' and it has onboard the 3xp processor. Any help will be
> appreciated.

There are two Linux drivers for it. One is 3com's, a bit shoddy but Ion
B. did a nice job of cleaning it up. The other is David Dillow's; DD's
driver looks really good, supports NAPI and all sorts of bells and whistles.

I'm currently waiting to see if DD's driver gets the stamp of approval
from a certain legal department. If that doesn't come through soon, the
"backup plan" kicks into effect, and Ion's cleanup of 3com's driver gets
merged.

Neither driver hooks into the 2.5.x CryptoAPI, AFAIK...

Jeff

2003-02-03 16:07:35

by Ion Badulescu

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:40:05 -0500, Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

> There are two Linux drivers for it. One is 3com's, a bit shoddy but Ion
> B. did a nice job of cleaning it up. The other is David Dillow's; DD's
> driver looks really good, supports NAPI and all sorts of bells and whistles.
>
> I'm currently waiting to see if DD's driver gets the stamp of approval
> from a certain legal department. If that doesn't come through soon, the
> "backup plan" kicks into effect, and Ion's cleanup of 3com's driver gets
> merged.

In the mean time, you can get my cleaned up version from
<http://www.badula.org/3c990/>. The 2.5 patch might not apply anymore
to the latest and greatest; let me know if that's indeed the case so
I can generate a new one.

> Neither driver hooks into the 2.5.x CryptoAPI, AFAIK...

Correct as far as the 3Com driver is concerned: it doesn't implement any
crypto stuff, I have no docs for it, and no free driver (OpenBSD in
particular) implements any of that stuff either.

Ion

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.