2003-06-13 12:24:43

by Vincent Fourmond

Subject: Kernel comile problem

Hello !

I have encountered few troubles while compiling the 2.4.20-7 debian
(testing) version of teh Linux Kernel. I got one compiling error

ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for
`slot_tablelen'

Which I corrected by commenting out "short"

__u8 /*short*/ slot_tablelen;

And during the linking

net/network.o(.text+0xd577): In function `rtnetlink_rcv':
: undefined reference to `rtnetlink_rcv_skb'

which I corrected by commenting out the "inline" stuff in the file
net/core/rtnetlink.c line 397

/*extern __inline__*/ int rtnetlink_rcv_skb(struct sk_buff *skb)

It looks like it does work, but I guess it is not normal ! Is there
actually anything to be done about this ?

Vincent Fourmond

2003-06-13 13:22:10

by Alan

Subject: Re: Kernel comile problem

On Gwe, 2003-06-13 at 13:38, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I have encountered few troubles while compiling the 2.4.20-7 debian
> (testing) version of teh Linux Kernel. I got one compiling error
>
> ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for
> `slot_tablelen'

Your changes look ok but the linux kernel 2.4.x isnt yet clean for
building with gcc 3.3

2003-06-13 13:52:29

by Christian Kujau

Alan Cox schrieb:

> Your changes look ok but the linux kernel 2.4.x isnt yet clean for
> building with gcc 3.3

hm, 2.4.21-rc8 builds with gcc3.3 fine. gotta find out if it boots too..

Christian.

2003-06-13 15:31:24

by James Morris

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Vincent Fourmond wrote:

> net/network.o(.text+0xd577): In function `rtnetlink_rcv':
> : undefined reference to `rtnetlink_rcv_skb'
>
> which I corrected by commenting out the "inline" stuff in the file
> net/core/rtnetlink.c line 397
>
> /*extern __inline__*/ int rtnetlink_rcv_skb(struct sk_buff *skb)
>
> It looks like it does work, but I guess it is not normal ! Is there
> actually anything to be done about this ?

This is an old bug which is fixed in more recent 2.4 kernels.

- James
--
James Morris
<[email protected]>