2001-11-27 19:05:45

by Heikki Levanto

Subject: 2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

Tried to compile 2.4.16 on my brand new IBM T23.

Small problem: Kernel panic at start, null pointer reference when
initializing agp code. Disabled agp, and boots OK. Probably too new
motherboard? Should I report what details?

Large problem: Network won't come up. Says:
> Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

This happens both to lo and eth0, with a stock kernel, only option I changed
was the agp (see above). Can boot past this, but no networking configured.

Invoking ifup by hand causes same behaviour.

Manually running ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 and ifconfig lo up work. Same for
eth0.

More digging pointed me to redhat's ifup script (7.2 with latest updates),
in the function is_available, there is a line that tests 'ip -o link'. This
is what gives the error messages in ifup (as well as when run by hand).
Could not find much documentation for that /sbin/ip, redhat special?

Problem does not occur on redhat 7.2 default kernel 2.4.7-10, nor on the one
their thing upgraded my box to, 2.4.9-13

Does this indicate a kernel problem, redhat problem, or my problem?

Thank you in advance

Heikki Levanto

P.S. I try to follow the list, but would still appreciate a direct cc if you
have any comments, suggestions, or workarounds.

--
Heikki Levanto [email protected] "In Murphy We Turst"

2001-11-27 19:19:47

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: 2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:

> is what gives the error messages in ifup (as well as when run by hand).
> Could not find much documentation for that /sbin/ip, redhat special?

You need to enable the netlink config options

> Does this indicate a kernel problem, redhat problem, or my problem?

your problem; it's even mentioned in the releasenotes..

2001-11-27 19:19:38

by Joao S Veiga

> Large problem: Network won't come up. Says:
> > Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

Have you compiled the netlink device into the kernel?

Check this:
yk /usr/src/linux $ grep NETLINK .config
CONFIG_NETLINK=y

2001-11-27 19:22:47

by Chris Wright

* Heikki Levanto ([email protected]) wrote:

> Large problem: Network won't come up. Says:
> > Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol

did you enable CONFIG_NETLINK _and_ CONFIG_RTNETLINK?

-chris

2001-11-27 20:43:38

by Andrew Pimlott

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:19:05PM +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> You need to enable the netlink config options
>
> your problem; it's even mentioned in the releasenotes..

It would be even better to mention it in the kernel documentation,
since iproute2 is fairly standard now. I'm really not enough of a
kernel hacker to change it, but the current Configure.help entry for
CONFIG_NETLINK suggests that it is useful only for relatively
obscure applications.

You need to say Y here to use the tools in the iproute2 package
(<ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru>).

And is CONFIG_RTNETLINK also necessary for ip?

Andrew

2001-11-27 21:04:08

by David Miller

From: [email protected] (Andrew Pimlott)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:31:19 -0500

It would be even better to mention it in the kernel documentation,
since iproute2 is fairly standard now. I'm really not enough of a
kernel hacker to change it, but the current Configure.help entry for
CONFIG_NETLINK suggests that it is useful only for relatively
obscure applications.

That is changing soon, the config options are in fact going away and
both will be on all the time if you have networking enabled at all.

2001-11-27 21:11:38

by Andi Kleen

[email protected] (Andrew Pimlott) writes:

> And is CONFIG_RTNETLINK also necessary for ip?

In vger (networking development tree) these options have just been removed
and hardcoded to on.
It'll likely show up soon in the main tree soon.

If that were not the case it would be better to fix iproute2 to give a
more meaningfull error message.

-Andi

2001-11-27 21:20:38

by Benjamin LaHaise

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:11:14PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> In vger (networking development tree) these options have just been removed
> and hardcoded to on.
> It'll likely show up soon in the main tree soon.
>
> If that were not the case it would be better to fix iproute2 to give a
> more meaningfull error message.

It would be better to keep the options around, but perhaps hidden under
a global "embedded systems" option and making the options negative so that
the default of off results in a working system.

-ben
--
Fish.