2001-02-26 04:44:33

by Keith Owens

Subject: Announce: modutils 2.4.3 is available

2001-02-26 14:34:28

by Stefan Smietanowski

Subject: Re: Announce: modutils 2.4.3 is available

Hi.

> modutils-2.4.3.tar.gz Source tarball, includes RPM spec file
> modutils-2.4.3-1.src.rpm As above, in SRPM format
> modutils-2.4.3-1.i386.rpm Compiled with egcs-2.91.66, glibc 2.1.2
> modutils-2.4.3-1.sparc64.rpm Combined sparc 32/64.
> modutils-2.4.3-1.ia64.rpm Compiled with gcc 2.96-ia64-000717 snap 001117,

IIRC 2.4.2 was 2.4 only, and was released under protest, is it the same
for 2.4.3?

// Stefan

2001-02-26 22:41:50

by Keith Owens

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:08:59 +0100,
Stefan Smietanowski <[email protected]> wrote:
>Keith Owens wrote
>> modutils-2.4.3.tar.gz Source tarball, includes RPM spec file
>
>IIRC 2.4.2 was 2.4 only, and was released under protest, is it the same
>for 2.4.3?

modutils 2.4 will work on kernel 2.0 and libc 5, one of the changes in
2.4.3 is for libc5 support. The protest period has expired.

2001-02-27 23:14:15

by Kurt Garloff

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:41:26AM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:08:59 +0100,
> Stefan Smietanowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Keith Owens wrote
> >> modutils-2.4.3.tar.gz Source tarball, includes RPM spec file
> >
> >IIRC 2.4.2 was 2.4 only, and was released under protest, is it the same
> >for 2.4.3?
>
> modutils 2.4 will work on kernel 2.0 and libc 5, one of the changes in
> 2.4.3 is for libc5 support. The protest period has expired.

To clearify: The incompatibility only affects the hotplug kernel device
tables ...
As there was no support amongst USB crowds for adding a version info for the
table formats, the modutils-2.4.2 could not provide support for per 2.4.0
kernel hotplug device tables. Nor can 2.4.3. The rest of the functionality
is unaffected.
Keith, correct me if I misunderstood ...

Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, FRG SCSI, Security

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.05 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Rainer Mager

Subject: Building autofs

Hi all,

I'm trying to use autofs for the first time and am running into some
problems. First, the documentation seems quite weak, that is, I'm not sure
if what I have is what I should have. I managed to find an autofs version 4
pre 9 tarball on the kernel mirrors. This seem the latest but is still a bit
old and the referenced home page doesn't seem any newer. My real problem,
however, is that when I try to build it I get this error:

lookup_program.c:147: `OPEN_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)

My understanding is that OPEN_MAX is defined in linux/limits.h but I
hesitate to change the code since I would expect this to build out of the
box.

Cas someone who is using autofs give me some pointers? Am I on the right
track?

Thanks,

--Rainer

2001-02-28 08:34:19

by Urban Widmark

Subject: Re: Building autofs

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Rainer Mager wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use autofs for the first time and am running into some
> problems. First, the documentation seems quite weak, that is, I'm not sure

I am sure the maintainer would appreciate if you wrote down what you found
difficult/missing from the docs (in the form of a patch to the existing
docs perhaps).

> if what I have is what I should have. I managed to find an autofs version 4
> pre 9 tarball on the kernel mirrors. This seem the latest but is still a bit
> old and the referenced home page doesn't seem any newer. My real problem,
> however, is that when I try to build it I get this error:
>
> lookup_program.c:147: `OPEN_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)

#include <linux/limits.h> gives:
#define OPEN_MAX 256 /* # open files a process may have */

But autofs is well behaved and doesn't use kernel headers but that makes
it fails on newer glibcs (at least I think that was it).

Just define it. If autofs4 is doing the same as autofs3 then it is only
used for program lookups (where a program generates the map to use) and
unless you are going to use those it won't matter at all.

There is also some info here, including how to find the autofs
mailinglist.
http://www.linux-consulting.com/Amd_AutoFS/autofs.html

Or google for "autofs OPEN_MAX", "autofs mailinglist archive", ...
There appears to be a autofs-open_max.patch somewhere.

/Urban