2002-04-01 17:01:21

by Hui_Ning

Subject: how to increase UNIX98 pty number?

hi,

Where should I change to increase the UNIX98 pty number beyond 2048? The
maximum allowed in xconfig is 2048.
Is there any reason that this number can't go beyond 2048? Thanks,

hui

2002-04-02 23:34:17

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Re: how to increase UNIX98 pty number?

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: [email protected]
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> hi,
>
> Where should I change to increase the UNIX98 pty number beyond 2048? The
> maximum allowed in xconfig is 2048.
> Is there any reason that this number can't go beyond 2048? Thanks,

Yes, dev_t is too small.

You could hack the kernel to locally allocate additional major
numbers, preferrably in the 240-255 range, if you need it.

-hpa

--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>