2004-11-01 16:42:53

by Mark_H_Johnson

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4]

>I've uploaded -V0.6.5 to the usual place:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

I built with this patch and had some problems with the system
locking up.

First attempt:
- booted to single user without problem
- telinit 5 was OK as well
- logged in. After first window popped up, I did
su -
to get root access and the system locked up. No display updates
nor any mouse movement. Entering Alt-SysRq-L displayed
SysRq : Show Regs On All CPUs
and no other messages appeared on the serial console. Attempts
to use other Alt-SysRq keys were ignored, hard reset to reboot.

Second attempt:
- booted to single user without problem
- telinit 5 failed after kudzu timed out (had "detected" a
change due to the serial console)

No messages on serial console after the kudzu timeout. This time
Alt-SysRq-L did work. Also did Alt-SysRq-T and -D and will send
the all the serial console messages separately.

Did notice an odd message during the dump of tasks...
Losing too many ticks!
TSC cannot be used as a timesource.
Possible reasons for this are:
You're running with Speedstep. [almost surely not]
You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm), [udma4 should
be set at this point]
Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg). [can't look
at that, system is hung]
Falling back to a sane timesource now.

Alas, this "sane timesource" didn't help either, system still
not responding right. Alt-SysRq-S said
SysRq : Emergency Sync
[without any complete messages]
and Alt-SysRq-B did reboot the system.

--Mark H Johnson
<mailto:[email protected]>

2004-11-01 22:34:06

by Ingo Molnar

* [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Did notice an odd message during the dump of tasks...
> Losing too many ticks!
> TSC cannot be used as a timesource.
> Possible reasons for this are:
> You're running with Speedstep. [almost surely not]
> You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm), [udma4 should
> be set at this point]
> Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg). [can't look
> at that, system is hung]
> Falling back to a sane timesource now.

this is just due to the messages going out to the serial console slowly
and with interrupts disabled. You can safely ignore this during the
dump, the system wont get into any much worse state from this. So it's a
pure side-effect.

Ingo