2001-12-04 02:38:45

by real

Subject: Compilation error with Kernels 2.4.16 && 2.5.X

drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x46b4): undefined reference to `local symbols
in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xbb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local
symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.data+0x234): undefined reference to `local symbols
in discarded section .text.exit'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

2001-12-04 05:11:08

by Ed Sweetman

Subject: Re: Compilation error with Kernels 2.4.16 && 2.5.X

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 09:54, real wrote:
> drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x46b4): undefined reference to `local symbols
> in discarded section .text.exit'
> drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xbb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
> discarded section .text.exit'
> drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local
> symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.data+0x234): undefined reference to `local symbols
> in discarded section .text.exit'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Same here. How many other people are finding this to be a problem?
same problem with 2.4.17-pre2

2001-12-04 06:17:18

by Dan Chen

Upon further investigation this is related to the specific version of
binutils used in linking the kernel after compilation. Please see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=122179&repeatmerged=yes
for more details. Additionally, not all kernel .configs will trigger
it. The USB segment is definitely in a common point, though. 2.2 kernels
don't seem to exhibit it; but any 2.4 with certain .configs will.

---
Dan Chen [email protected]
GPG key: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc

On 4 Dec 2001, safemode wrote:

> On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 09:54, real wrote:
> > drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x46b4): undefined reference to `local symbols
> > in discarded section .text.exit'
> > drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xbb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
> > discarded section .text.exit'
> > drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local
> > symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> > drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.data+0x234): undefined reference to `local symbols
> > in discarded section .text.exit'
> > make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
> Same here. How many other people are finding this to be a problem?
> same problem with 2.4.17-pre2

2001-12-04 06:41:58

by Ben Carrell

That would explain why I could compile fine when 2.4.16 was released,
but not now....Thanks -- anytime frame you know of for a fix?

-Ben Carrell
[email protected]

Daniel T. Chen wrote:

>Upon further investigation this is related to the specific version of
>binutils used in linking the kernel after compilation. Please see
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=122179&repeatmerged=yes
>for more details. Additionally, not all kernel .configs will trigger
>it. The USB segment is definitely in a common point, though. 2.2 kernels
>don't seem to exhibit it; but any 2.4 with certain .configs will.
>
>---
>Dan Chen [email protected]
>GPG key: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc
>
>On 4 Dec 2001, safemode wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 09:54, real wrote:
>>
>>>drivers/char/char.o(.data+0x46b4): undefined reference to `local symbols
>>>in discarded section .text.exit'
>>>drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xbb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
>>>discarded section .text.exit'
>>>drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local
>>>symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
>>>drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.data+0x234): undefined reference to `local symbols
>>>in discarded section .text.exit'
>>>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>>>
>>Same here. How many other people are finding this to be a problem?
>>same problem with 2.4.17-pre2
>>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Dan Chen

The Debian binutils maintainer is aware and abreadst of the situation; a
fix is imminent.

---