2007-05-02 15:03:26

by Tomasz Kłoczko

Subject: Re: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, David R. Litwin wrote:
[..]

I'm just found something new in filtered folder by "ZFS" word in RSS feed
from blogs.sun.com and on firs look it may be some continuation of this
thread:

http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists

I'm not check completly this .. so don't beat me if it is not true :)

kloczek
*Ludzie nie maj? problem?w, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj?*
Tomasz K?oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: [email protected]*

2007-05-02 15:38:54

by Alan

On Wed, 2 May 2007 17:03:22 +0200 (CEST)
Tomasz Kłoczko <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, David R. Litwin wrote:
> [..]
>
> I'm just found something new in filtered folder by "ZFS" word in RSS feed
> from blogs.sun.com and on firs look it may be some continuation of this
> thread:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists
>
> I'm not check completly this .. so don't beat me if it is not true :)

Useful if accurate as the GPLv2 and Sun origin means youa re clear for
any patents Sun used in that code but maybe not for any in the pure CDDL
bits. Definitely positive.

2007-05-02 20:53:49

by Theodore Ts'o

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I'm just found something new in filtered folder by "ZFS" word in RSS feed
> > from blogs.sun.com and on firs look it may be some continuation of this
> > thread:
> >
> > http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists
> >
> > I'm not check completly this .. so don't beat me if it is not true :)
>
> Useful if accurate as the GPLv2 and Sun origin means youa re clear for
> any patents Sun used in that code but maybe not for any in the pure CDDL
> bits. Definitely positive.

Well, except remember that they only made sources available so that
GRUB could boot OpenSolaris. Grub only requires read-only access to
the filesystem, and what was made available under GPLv2 was only a
distinct subset of the full ZFS sources.

- Ted