2002-10-14 02:36:11

by Hans Reiser

Subject: Re: The reason to call it 3.0 is the desktop (was Re: [OT] 2.6 not 3.0 - (NUMA)) (fwd)

Alexander Viro wrote:

>>Logically, the second /var mount should be "mount --move /initrd/var /var",
>>followed by "umount /initrd" to free up the initrd memory. Right now it's
>>doing "mount -n --bind /initrd/var /var", because /etc is a symlink into /var
>>(has to remain editable, you see), and this way the information about which
>>partition var actually is can be kept in one place. (This is an
>>implementation detail: I could have used volume labels instead.)
>>
>>The point is, right now I can't free the initial ramdisk because it has an
>>active mount point under it..
>>

>umount -l
>mount --move

It seems Linux evolves faster than I can track. These are nice features.:)

Hans

2002-10-14 02:42:25

by Alexander Viro

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Hans Reiser wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >umount -l
> >mount --move
> >
> It seems Linux evolves faster than I can track. These are nice features.:)

Why, thank you...

They had been there for a year or so, actually - (-l first, then --move).
Both were done as side effects of core cleanups that allowed per-process
namespaces - real work was in massaging infrastructure into the sane
shape, features came pretty much for free...