2002-10-16 15:57:14

by David Mansfield

Subject: raid subsystem broken in 2.5.43... blockdev changes?

Hi Al, list,

I think the latest blockdev (maybe the do_open) changes broke the raid
subsystem. In order to 'activate' a raid device, the userland tools open
the device node (e.g. /dev/md0) to perform ioctls against it, even though
that device isn't up and running yet. In 2.5.43 it returns ENXIO.

In 2.5.42 we used to get through to bdev->bd_op->open() without a
'gendisk' structure, but now we bail with ENXIO. Is this the pertinent
difference?

David

--
/==============================\
| David Mansfield |

2002-10-17 17:39:41

by Alexander Viro

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, David Mansfield wrote:

> Hi Al, list,
>
> I think the latest blockdev (maybe the do_open) changes broke the raid
> subsystem. In order to 'activate' a raid device, the userland tools open
> the device node (e.g. /dev/md0) to perform ioctls against it, even though
> that device isn't up and running yet. In 2.5.43 it returns ENXIO.

I know, patches that handle that are coming to Linus in an hour.

... going net.dead for two days didn't help any ;-/