2001-11-30 11:07:54

by kumar M

Subject: Problems in exporting symbols

Hi,

I am attempting to process Scsi Requests for implementaion of a
customised target mode driver through my kernel module.
FOr achieving this, I have declared a global pointer 'my_request' of
Scsi_Request type, and duly allocated (using scsi_allocate_request ) in the
scan_scsis_single function.
I am exporting the symbol through the EXPORT_SYMBOL macro in scsi_syms.c. I
observe that scsi_allocate_request goes thorugh fine, and able to initialise
it.
Howewver, when I reference the same in my module while processing
at a later stage, I am obtaining an unresolved external for
'my_request' while loading my module.
I am able to see the variable in /proc/kysms as :
my_request_R__ver_my_request

Can I get any inputs on why I am facing this problem ?
TIA,
Kumar

by Keith Owens

Subject: Re: Problems in exporting symbols

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:07:17 +0000,
"kumar M" <[email protected]> wrote:
>my_request_R__ver_my_request

Gee, it must be at least a week since I pointed somebody at the FAQ
entry for this. http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s8-8

2002-01-05 14:43:51

by kumar M

Hi,

I am getting a kernel mismatch error when I insmod a binary module
compiled on a 2.4.2 kernel (kernel name say linux-2-4-2-v1) on a different
system with the same 2.4.2 kernel but with a different kernel name
(linux-2-4-2-v2). I dont want to recompile the module everytime I give a new
name to a kernel or for every different system.
How do I fix this problem ?

TIA,
Kumar

by Keith Owens

On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 14:43:20 +0000,
"kumar M" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I am getting a kernel mismatch error when I insmod a binary module
>compiled on a 2.4.2 kernel (kernel name say linux-2-4-2-v1) on a different
>system with the same 2.4.2 kernel but with a different kernel name
>(linux-2-4-2-v2). I dont want to recompile the module everytime I give a new
>name to a kernel or for every different system.
>How do I fix this problem ?

Try insmod -f, but don't complain if it destroys your system. Modules
tend to be very kernel specific, forcing a module load into a different
kernel is a good way to kill your machine.

2002-01-06 12:49:04

by Vikram

look at Documentation/Configure.help and specifically the
CONFIG_MODVERSION option.....

hope this helps.

Vikram