2000-11-02 09:55:08

by Narancs 1

Subject: vesafb doesn't work in 240t10?

Dear developers!

I used to start vesafb like this:
/etc/lilo.conf:
vga=317

Now kernel doesn't accept this.
it complains that this is not a valid mode id.
So what?

I want to start the kernel in 1024x768 16 bit
How to do it?
I've read Doc*/fb/vesafb.txt
That is not true now.

10x
Narancs v1

2000-11-02 10:23:42

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: vesafb doesn't work in 240t10?

Narancs 1 wrote:
> I used to start vesafb like this:
> /etc/lilo.conf:
> vga=317

> I want to start the kernel in 1024x768 16 bit
> How to do it?
> I've read Doc*/fb/vesafb.txt

vga takes a decimal number, but the number in vesafb.txt is
hexidecimal. Let us convert 0x317 to decimal:

[jgarzik@rum linux_2_4]$ perl -e 'printf "%d\n", 0x317;'
791

So, use "vga=791" in your lilo.conf.

--
Jeff Garzik | Dinner is ready when
Building 1024 | the smoke alarm goes off.

2000-11-02 10:33:34

by Brett

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Narancs 1 wrote:
> > I used to start vesafb like this:
> > /etc/lilo.conf:
> > vga=317
>
> So, use "vga=791" in your lilo.conf.

Interesting...

I have

vga=0x31a

in /etc/lilo.conf,
and it works fine

$ lilo -V
LILO version 21.6

*shrug*

/ Brett

2000-11-02 10:35:54

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:23:09AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Narancs 1 wrote:
> > I used to start vesafb like this:
> > /etc/lilo.conf:
> > vga=317
> vga takes a decimal number, but the number in vesafb.txt is
> hexidecimal. Let us convert 0x317 to decimal:

> So, use "vga=791" in your lilo.conf.

lilo accepts hex values as well, AFAIK, so lets do:

vga = 0x317

MfG, JBG

--
Fehler eingestehen, Gr??e zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zur?ck!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> -- +49-177-5601720 */

Attachments:
(No filename) (669.00 B)
(No filename) (240.00 B)

by Nick Holloway

[email protected] (Jeff Garzik) writes:
> vga takes a decimal number, but the number in vesafb.txt is
> hexidecimal.

You can specify the value to lilo as a hexidecimal number: "vga=0x317".

--
`O O' | [email protected]
// ^ \\ | http://www.pyrites.org.uk/

2000-11-02 14:15:45

by Narancs 1

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Brett wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> vga=0x317
>
> in /etc/lilo.conf,

works fine on the other machine, containing a savage4 agp card

It seems that the i815 is not vesa compliant?
Cheap!

What fb driver would support it?
does vga16 support 1024x768?

thx4all

Narancs v1

2000-11-02 14:26:09

by Alan

> It seems that the i815 is not vesa compliant?
> Cheap!

The i810 hardware only has limited support for old style linear video modes
so that is quite possible.

2000-11-02 16:20:30

by Narancs 1

Subject: so vesafb doesn't work in i815

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > It seems that the i815 is not vesa compliant?
> > Cheap!
>
> The i810 hardware only has limited support for old style linear video modes
> so that is quite possible.

Wow! So then I just cannot use this motherboard at all!
xfree 3.3.6 , also with the driver that can be downloaded from intel - I
could run it only at 320x200x4.
xfree 4.0.1d supports it, but the screen flicker so hard, that is is
unusable.
Now there is no fb support for it. If they sell a vga card that is not
vesa compliant, they are crazy.

I am angry with intel!
And my bosses, who decided to buy 1500 pcs of this IBM Netvista :-(((

Anyway, I'll have to buy a vga card on my own, if I want to use linux.

2.4.0-test10 seems to be really fine and stable to me!
Thx for your great work guys!

10x4all
Narancs v1

2000-11-02 16:28:11

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Re: so vesafb doesn't work in i815

Wait is this like the i810e?

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Narancs 1 wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > It seems that the i815 is not vesa compliant?
> > > Cheap!
> >
> > The i810 hardware only has limited support for old style linear video modes
> > so that is quite possible.
> >

> Wow! So then I just cannot use this motherboard at all!
> xfree 3.3.6 , also with the driver that can be downloaded from intel - I
> could run it only at 320x200x4.
> xfree 4.0.1d supports it, but the screen flicker so hard, that is is
> unusable.
> Now there is no fb support for it. If they sell a vga card that is not
> vesa compliant, they are crazy.
>
> I am angry with intel!
> And my bosses, who decided to buy 1500 pcs of this IBM Netvista :-(((
>
> Anyway, I'll have to buy a vga card on my own, if I want to use linux.
>
> 2.4.0-test10 seems to be really fine and stable to me!
> Thx for your great work guys!
>
> 10x4all
> Narancs v1
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
CTO Timpanogas Research Group
EVP Linux Development, TRG
Linux ATA Development

2000-11-02 17:51:37

by Alan

> > The i810 hardware only has limited support for old style linear video modes
> > so that is quite possible.
>
> Wow! So then I just cannot use this motherboard at all!
> xfree 3.3.6 , also with the driver that can be downloaded from intel - I
> could run it only at 320x200x4.
> xfree 4.0.1d supports it, but the screen flicker so hard, that is is
> unusable.

Ah there is a trick to that bit. If you have some i810 stuff then XFree does
funnies if you have DRM enabled.

The following combination I know works

2.2.18pre18
XFree 4.0 rpms from Red Hat (not 100% sure which 4.0 set they match sorry)
DRM disabled in the XF86Config.

On my i810 the DRM/flicker problem isnt present but I have seen other folks with
it and disabling the direct 3d stuff cured it.

2.2.18pre18 also supports the i810 audio reasonably well. For full UDMA ide you
want 2.4test or 2.2.18pre18 + ide patch

2000-11-03 00:32:35

by James Simmons

> What fb driver would support it?

I seen a i810 fbdev driver before but I haven't see any updates to it in a
awhile.

> does vga16 support 1024x768?

No. vga16 supports standard vga graphics modes (ie 640x480 16 colors).

2000-11-03 08:00:46

by Narancs 1

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > xfree 4.0.1d supports it, but the screen flicker so hard, that is is
> > unusable.
>
> Ah there is a trick to that bit. If you have some i810 stuff then XFree does
> funnies if you have DRM enabled.
I did disable loading drm/dri module from xf86config/kernel module
It acts the same.

> The following combination I know works
>
> 2.2.18pre18
I have 2.4.0-test10
> XFree 4.0 rpms from Red Hat (not 100% sure which 4.0 set they match sorry)
> DRM disabled in the XF86Config.
debian 4.0.1d

> On my i810 the DRM/flicker problem isnt present but I have seen other folks with
> it and disabling the direct 3d stuff cured it.
what other modules?

> 2.2.18pre18 also supports the i810 audio reasonably well. For full UDMA ide you
> want 2.4test or 2.2.18pre18 + ide patch
how?
which driver?
I couldn't get i810 ihc driver go in 2.4.0t10
Alsa works, but it plays pcm like micky mouse (faster).
They said, it is fixed in the CVS i haven't tried/

thanx!
Alan Cox is my man.
Narancs v1

2000-11-03 13:13:00

by Alan

> > want 2.4test or 2.2.18pre18 + ide patch
> how?
> which driver?

2.2.18pre19 or 2.4.0test10 + the codec init patch