2001-04-17 23:45:37

by Subba Rao

Subject: Adaptec 2940 and Linux 2.2.19

Hi,

The kernel configuration menu items have been changing quite a bit. So, I
apologize for asking a trivial question in this forum.

I am trying to configure and install linux kernel 2.2.19. This system has
a Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter. I have enabled SCSI support kernel configuration
menu and also have selected all the Adaptec low-level drivers. They include
(actually what is offered), AHA152X/2825, AHA1542 and AHA1740. When the kernel
is booting up it still does not find the AHA2940 adapter.

What (other) options should I configure to make Linux 2.2.19 find the adapter?

Thank you in advance for any help.
--

Subba Rao
[email protected]

GPG public key ID 27FC9217

2001-04-17 23:55:18

by Vivek Dasmohapatra

Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940 and Linux 2.2.19

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Subba Rao wrote:

> I am trying to configure and install linux kernel 2.2.19. This system has
> a Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter. I have enabled SCSI support kernel configuration

I think you want the aic7xxx driver - istr the aha2940 cards are actually
aic789x chipsets. [Manufacturer naming schemes, you gotta love 'em.]

--
"As you point out, EFAULT situations are `undefined' which means the
machine is entitled to grow wings an launch itself towards the sun..."

by Simon Garner

From: "Subba Rao" <[email protected]>

> Hi,
>
> The kernel configuration menu items have been changing quite a bit. So, I
> apologize for asking a trivial question in this forum.
>
> I am trying to configure and install linux kernel 2.2.19. This system has
> a Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter. I have enabled SCSI support kernel
configuration
> menu and also have selected all the Adaptec low-level drivers. They
include
> (actually what is offered), AHA152X/2825, AHA1542 and AHA1740. When the
kernel
> is booting up it still does not find the AHA2940 adapter.
>
> What (other) options should I configure to make Linux 2.2.19 find the
adapter?

> Thank you in advance for any help.
> --
>
> Subba Rao
> [email protected]
> http://members.home.net/subba9/

You want the Adaptec AIC7xxx driver. Should be listed right under those
other three.

Cheers

Simon Garner

2001-04-18 00:22:44

by David Relson

Subba,

The 2940 uses an AIC7890 (or related) chip. Look for AIC7XXX in the options.

David