2002-04-01 20:35:28

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Upcoming rewrite of kernel

Hi folks,

I have been dealing with maintaining Linux in a mixture of C and Assembler for over twelve years now. While it has been a lot of fun, every day dealing with these essentially dead languages has become harder and harder for me, and other programers seem to agree.

Thus, starting with Linux 3.0 (to be released hopefully by next summer), the kernel will be completely rewritten in the easy-to-use Visual Basic language. This will eliminate all issues involving buffer overruns, as well as streamlining porting of Windows programs to Linux, since Microsoft (who will now assume ownership of Linux) assure me that Windows is written entirely in VB as well.

Microsoft has also stated that they intend to incorporate Windows features, such as the RRS (Rapid Random Shutdown) in Windows 95, into Linux 3.0.

Linus

2002-04-01 20:49:10

by Thomas Glanzmann

Subject: Re: Upcoming rewrite of kernel

The first eMail was much better ...

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, an idiot wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have been dealing with maintaining Linux in a mixture of C and Assembler for
> over twelve years now. While it has been a lot of fun, every day dealing with
> these essentially dead languages has become harder and harder for me, and
> other programers seem to agree.
>
> Thus, starting with Linux 3.0 (to be released hopefully by next summer), the
> kernel will be completely rewritten in the easy-to-use Visual Basic language.
> This will eliminate all issues involving buffer overruns, as well as
> streamlining porting of Windows programs to Linux, since Microsoft (who will
> now assume ownership of Linux) assure me that Windows is written entirely in
> VB as well.
>
> Microsoft has also stated that they intend to incorporate Windows features,
> such as the RRS (Rapid Random Shutdown) in Windows 95, into Linux 3.0.
>
> Linus
>
> - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to [email protected] More majordomo info at
> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at
> http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2002-04-01 20:56:01

by James Simmons

> The first eMail was much better ...

The first one you could almost believe. I still think last years body
odor one was the best.

2002-04-01 21:01:31

by Richard B. Johnson

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

> The first eMail was much better ...

Also somebody's "slip" is showing....

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 15:35, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have been dealing with maintaining Linux in a mixture of C and Assembler for over twelve years now. While it has been a lot of fun, every day dealing with these essentially dead languages has become harder and harder for me, and other programers seem to agree.
>
> Thus, starting with Linux 3.0 (to be released hopefully by next summer), the kernel will be completely rewritten in the easy-to-use Visual Basic language. This will eliminate all issues involving buffer overruns, as well as streamlining porting of Windows programs to Linux, since Microsoft (who will now assume ownership of Linux) assure me that Windows is written entirely in VB as well.
>
> Microsoft has also stated that they intend to incorporate Windows features, such as the RRS (Rapid Random Shutdown) in Windows 95, into Linux 3.0.
>
> Linus
>
> -

Shawn Starr
Developer Support Engineer
Datawire Communication Networks Inc.
10 Carlson Court, Suite 300
Toronto, ON, M9W 6L2
T: 416-213-2001 ext 179 F: 416-213-2008

2002-04-01 21:16:43

by Thomas Glanzmann

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, James Simmons wrote:

> The first one you could almost believe. I still think last years body
> odor one was the best.

hehe. yep. That one was really funny. ;)

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.0/0007.html

Greetings,
Thomas

2002-04-01 21:18:13

by Thomas Glanzmann

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Also somebody's "slip" is showing....

And the message id is 'utter crup' :)