2002-04-04 18:12:22

by James Simmons

Subject: HomePlug support?

Anyone working on HomePlug support?

http://www.homeplug.org

. ---
|o_o |
|:_/ | Give Micro$oft the Bird!!!!
// \ \ Use Linux!!!!
(| | )
/'_ _/`\
___)=(___/

2002-04-04 18:40:15

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: HomePlug support?

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:12:00AM -0800, James Simmons wrote:

> Anyone working on HomePlug support?
>
> http://www.homeplug.org

With a $15,000 'Annual Participant Membership Fee' to get the specs,
I'd doubt it.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-04 18:44:15

by Andreas Dilger

On Apr 04, 2002 10:12 -0800, James Simmons wrote:
> Anyone working on HomePlug support?
>
> http://www.homeplug.org

It is not clear from their website that any products exist to be
supported. Also, unless they are totally braindamaged, I would imagine
that all of their products will appear to the PC to be just like regular
ethernet network cards, but use a different physical transport layer.

Hmm, I wonder if I will be able to run tcpdump from my electrical outlet
and listen to my neighbour's network traffic, and take over their X10
appliance controls ;-).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2002-04-04 19:15:55

by Alan

> supported. Also, unless they are totally braindamaged, I would imagine
> that all of their products will appear to the PC to be just like regular
> ethernet network cards, but use a different physical transport layer.

That would show a disappointing lack of imagination. Given the people
who are there I'd hope it becomes another connector off the standard
ATX PSU 8)

> Hmm, I wonder if I will be able to run tcpdump from my electrical outlet
> and listen to my neighbour's network traffic, and take over their X10
> appliance controls ;-).

Quick down to the patent office with mains firewalls

2002-04-04 21:26:43

by Bob Dunlop

On Thu, Apr 4, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 04, 2002 10:12 -0800, James Simmons wrote:
> > Anyone working on HomePlug support?

As someone else has already responded. Closed source standard so I'd guess
unlikely to become a true standard. Seen many variations before and they've
all crashed and burned. Whatever happened to the NorWEB field trial ?

> Hmm, I wonder if I will be able to run tcpdump from my electrical outlet
> and listen to my neighbour's network traffic, and take over their X10
> appliance controls ;-).

More interesting could you hack into the protocol for reading the electricty
meter remotely ? Spoof the meter and save a fortune in power bills!
Worked nextdoor to a remote meter company once and it was a problem they
took very seriously.

Still puzzled by the European political standardisation of the power supply.
Politics says 230V yet my AVO still reads 240V RMS in the UK and 220V in
Germany ? Still it also says 50Hz and I'd swear I only get 49 and a glitch.

--
Bob Dunlop

2002-04-04 21:55:15

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Bob Dunlop <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Thu, Apr 4, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > On Apr 04, 2002 10:12 -0800, James Simmons wrote:
> > > Anyone working on HomePlug support?
>
> As someone else has already responded. Closed source standard so I'd guess
> unlikely to become a true standard. Seen many variations before and they've
> all crashed and burned. Whatever happened to the NorWEB field trial ?
>
> > Hmm, I wonder if I will be able to run tcpdump from my electrical outlet
> > and listen to my neighbour's network traffic, and take over their X10
> > appliance controls ;-).
>
> More interesting could you hack into the protocol for reading the electricty
> meter remotely ? Spoof the meter and save a fortune in power bills!
> Worked nextdoor to a remote meter company once and it was a problem they
> took very seriously.

Encryption?

> Still puzzled by the European political standardisation of the power supply.
> Politics says 230V yet my AVO still reads 240V RMS in the UK and 220V in
> Germany ? Still it also says 50Hz and I'd swear I only get 49 and a glitch.

The formal spec is something like 230 V ? 10%. The value 230 V was
chosed exactly because both the 220 V and 240 V mains systems could
comply without change as long as they regulated their voltages more
tightly than the spec required. Since the main reason for the fairly
wide error bar isn't variation in generation, but remote locations
with long transmission lines (how much voltage drop between the
nearest and the farthest tap?), this is mostly a non-issue. It might
have required adjusting transformers in a few places that serve just
such remote locations, or the installation of buck/boost transformers
in a few places. In urban areas it should have made absolutely no
difference. Maybe they'll start using 230 V for new installations,
but somehow I doubt it.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2002-04-04 22:20:29

by James Simmons

> > More interesting could you hack into the protocol for reading the electricty
> > meter remotely ? Spoof the meter and save a fortune in power bills!
> > Worked nextdoor to a remote meter company once and it was a problem they
> > took very seriously.
>
> Encryption?

Yes. Encryption is part of the standard.