2002-04-11 09:03:52

by Martin Devera

Subject: rb_tree methods export request

Hello Andrea,

I write to you as to maintainer of rb_tree code in 2.4. I'm
just finishing module (QoS HTB scheduler) where I need to use
balanced tree and your rb_tree implementation seems as the best
one for it.
Only problem is that rb_delete and athers are not exported so that
I can't use them in the module.
Is there some problem to export the symbols or should I duplicate
the code ?

thanks, devik
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/

2002-04-11 12:24:29

by Andrea Arcangeli

Subject: Re: rb_tree methods export request

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:03:47AM +0200, Martin Devera wrote:
> Hello Andrea,
>
> I write to you as to maintainer of rb_tree code in 2.4. I'm
> just finishing module (QoS HTB scheduler) where I need to use
> balanced tree and your rb_tree implementation seems as the best
> one for it.
> Only problem is that rb_delete and athers are not exported so that
> I can't use them in the module.
> Is there some problem to export the symbols or should I duplicate
> the code ?

You don't need to duplicate the code:

ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.19pre3aa2/00_rb-export-1

It is just included in 2.4.19pre6 mainline btw, so just updating to the
latest kernel should solve your problem with the module.

2.5 is still missing it, but it should be applied there too eventually.

Andrea

2002-04-11 12:30:46

by Martin Devera

> > Only problem is that rb_delete and athers are not exported so that
> > I can't use them in the module.
>
> You don't need to duplicate the code:
>
> ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.19pre3aa2/00_rb-export-1
>
> It is just included in 2.4.19pre6 mainline btw, so just updating to the
> latest kernel should solve your problem with the module.

:) Good news. Thanks a much Andrea
devik

2002-04-11 12:32:49

by Christoph Hellwig

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:24:47PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> 2.5 is still missing it, but it should be applied there too eventually.

2.5 now also exports the rbtree routines.