2002-09-24 13:24:45

by Petr Slansky

Subject: hpt370 raid driver

Hi Alan!
do you know that there is a source code of driver for HPT370 raid at the
manufacturer web?

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz

Maybe that this can be added to the kernel, there are many motherboards on the
market with such controller onboard. Is there any poblem with this driver?

As I know, hpt370 is supported only in IDE mode by kernel 2.4.18.

With regards,
Petr

---------------------------------
Petr Slansky, [email protected]
---------------------------------

2002-09-24 13:48:12

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: hpt370 raid driver

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 15:29, Petr Slansky wrote:
> Hi Alan!
> do you know that there is a source code of driver for HPT370 raid at the
> manufacturer web?
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz
>
> Maybe that this can be added to the kernel, there are many motherboards on the
> market with such controller onboard. Is there any poblem with this driver?

It's a binary only driver with some glue code.... not open source.

> As I know, hpt370 is supported only in IDE mode by kernel 2.4.18.

and in raid0 mode by hptraid

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2002-09-24 13:48:34

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:29:54PM +0100, Petr Slansky wrote:
> do you know that there is a source code of driver for HPT370 raid at the
> manufacturer web?
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz

Highpoint have a strange concept of 'opensource'.

(davej@halogen:davej)$ tar zxvf hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz
rules.mak
Makefile
hpt.c
hptkern.h
hptglb.h
hpt.h
hpt37x2lib.o
readme.txt

(davej@halogen:davej)$ ll hpt37x2lib.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 davej davej 63639 Apr 5 21:35 hpt37x2lib.o

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-09-24 14:07:08

by Wilfried Weissmann

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 15:29, Petr Slansky wrote:
>
>>Hi Alan!
>>do you know that there is a source code of driver for HPT370 raid at the
>>manufacturer web?
>>
>>http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
>>http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz
>>
>>Maybe that this can be added to the kernel, there are many motherboards on the
>>market with such controller onboard. Is there any poblem with this driver?
>

> It's a binary only driver with some glue code.... not open source.

The header files are good. They show the structure of the raid signature
and some info about the event logs. They could be reused by the linux
module, however I do not know if the copyright is a problem there. Does
anyone know...?

Bye,
Wilfried

--
Ing. Wilfried Weissmann mailto: [email protected]
Benedikt-Schellingergasse 18/19a Tel.: +43 1 78 64 739

2002-09-25 04:04:29

by Andre Hedrick

drwxr-xr-x 2 root 270 Sep 24 21:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 82 root 3296 Sep 24 21:00 ..
-rw------- 1 root 1163 Apr 1 08:06 Makefile
-rw------- 1 root 37777 Apr 5 12:34 hpt.c
-rw------- 1 root 1925 Feb 26 2002 hpt.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root 63639 Apr 5 12:35 hpt37x2lib.o

Binary RAID Library, Thank you, have a nice day "TAINT"

-rw-r--r-- 1 root 55051 Apr 18 10:14 hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root 28789 Apr 3 12:46 hptglb.h
-rw------- 1 root 1765 Mar 28 08:52 hptkern.h
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root 5402 Apr 5 12:38 readme.txt
-rw------- 1 root 841 Mar 1 2002 rules.mak

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Petr Slansky wrote:

> Hi Alan!
> do you know that there is a source code of driver for HPT370 raid at the
> manufacturer web?
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt3xx-opensource-v13.tgz
>
> Maybe that this can be added to the kernel, there are many motherboards on the
> market with such controller onboard. Is there any poblem with this driver?
>
> As I know, hpt370 is supported only in IDE mode by kernel 2.4.18.
>
> With regards,
> Petr

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2002-09-26 10:43:31

by Alan Cox

> The header files are good. They show the structure of the raid signature
> and some info about the event logs. They could be reused by the linux
> module, however I do not know if the copyright is a problem there. Does
> anyone know...?

I dont think it shows anything our hptraid module doesnt alreayd know

2002-09-26 13:27:45

by Wilfried Weissmann

Alan Cox wrote:
>>The header files are good. They show the structure of the raid signature
>>and some info about the event logs. They could be reused by the linux
>>module, however I do not know if the copyright is a problem there. Does
>>anyone know...?
>

> I dont think it shows anything our hptraid module doesnt alreayd know

Oops! You are right. Most of the structures are for internal driver
stuff. The only useful thing might be the magic numbers and maybe the
ErrorLog struct, but no raid-signature. :(

Greetings,
Wilfried