2005-09-28 00:36:13

by Eric Moore

Subject: RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel

On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:51 PM, Luben Tuikov wrote:

> Christoph's code is
> * MPT based only,
> * doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
> * far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
> again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.
>
> Since the whole point of MPT is to _hide_ the transport.

Hi Luben,

OK, Man are you alright?

I've heard of other vendors planning to
provide solutions where sas is implemented
in firmware, similar to MPT. Christophs
sas layer is going to work with other
solutions, don't think of it being
MPT centric.

Later,
Eric Moore

2005-09-28 01:48:09

by Andre Hedrick

Eric,

Luben is in shock.

Jeff hinted Luben and I are similar, and that would scare anyone.

Cheers,

Andre

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:51 PM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
>
> > Christoph's code is
> > * MPT based only,
> > * doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
> > * far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
> > again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.
> >
> > Since the whole point of MPT is to _hide_ the transport.
> >

> Hi Luben,
>
> OK, Man are you alright?
>
> I've heard of other vendors planning to
> provide solutions where sas is implemented
> in firmware, similar to MPT. Christophs
> sas layer is going to work with other
> solutions, don't think of it being
> MPT centric.
>

> Later,
> Eric Moore
> -

by Luben Tuikov

--- "Moore, Eric Dean" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:51 PM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
>
> > Christoph's code is
> > * MPT based only,
> > * doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
> > * far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
> > again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.
> >
> > Since the whole point of MPT is to _hide_ the transport.
> >

> Hi Luben,
>
> OK, Man are you alright?
>
> I've heard of other vendors planning to
> provide solutions where sas is implemented
> in firmware, similar to MPT. Christophs
> sas layer is going to work with other
> solutions, don't think of it being
> MPT centric.

Where in what I said above do I say that it will _not_
work with _other_ MPT based drivers? Nowhere!

Yes it _will_ work with other MPT-like drivers but
to cut and paste again from above:
* MPT based only,
* doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
* far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.

When I say MPT, I do not mean MPT(R), I mean MPT as
in technology, not as in trademark.

Luben