2000-10-29 03:29:12

by Rik van Riel

Subject: tcp.c::wait_for_tcp_memory() buggy ?

Hi Davem,

I can't quite put my finger on what wait_for_tcp_memory() is
supposed to do, but the code looks EXTREMELY suspect and I've
had a report of somebody looping in the for(;;) loop in that
function without ever exiting and getting his TCP connection
stuck there...

Also, the locking inside the loop seems fragile, to say the
least.

from tcp.c:

865 if (tcp_memory_free(sk) && !vm_wait)
866 break;

880 release_sock(sk);
881 if (!tcp_memory_free(sk) || vm_wait)
882 current_timeo = schedule_timeout(current_timeo);
883 lock_sock(sk);

Here we hold the lock for the entire loop (meaning that
other people cannot make the exit condition on line 865
come true.

Except for doing a test on tcp_memory_free(sk), where we
do NOT hold the lock we're so dutifully clinging to during
the rest of the loop...

As I said, I can't put my finger down on what exactly is
wrong, but this code looks subtle enough that, together
with the bugreport I got (on IRC), I have the feeling that
it just _can't_ be right ...

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/

2000-10-29 07:11:45

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: tcp.c::wait_for_tcp_memory() buggy ?

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 01:28:38AM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Except for doing a test on tcp_memory_free(sk), where we
> do NOT hold the lock we're so dutifully clinging to during
> the rest of the loop...

And rechecking it later while holding the loop on the next iteration.

Also usually the caller also does a check again and iterates as needed.

> As I said, I can't put my finger down on what exactly is
> wrong, but this code looks subtle enough that, together
> with the bugreport I got (on IRC), I have the feeling that
> it just _can't_ be right ...

With the right setup of multiple threads writing all the time
on a single socket you could probably starve one, making it loop forever here.
(it does not try to be fair)

-Andi

2000-10-30 07:03:47

by Ingo Molnar

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> I can't quite put my finger on what wait_for_tcp_memory() is supposed
> to do, [...]

it's waiting for TCP output packets to be processed. This is a TCP
protocol detail and is not connected to VM issues. The function name might
be a bit misleading, it could be 'tcp_write_possible()', or
'tcp_wmem_free()'.

> [...] but the code looks EXTREMELY suspect and I've had a report of
> somebody looping in the for(;;) loop in that function without ever
> exiting and getting his TCP connection stuck there...

as far as i understand, this can happen if another host (for whatever
reason) does not process the TCP output packets this host has sent.

> Also, the locking inside the loop seems fragile, to say the
> least.
>
> from tcp.c:
>
> 865 if (tcp_memory_free(sk) && !vm_wait)
> 866 break;
>
> 880 release_sock(sk);
> 881 if (!tcp_memory_free(sk) || vm_wait)
> 882 current_timeo = schedule_timeout(current_timeo);
> 883 lock_sock(sk);
>
> Here we hold the lock for the entire loop (meaning that
> other people cannot make the exit condition on line 865
> come true.

we do not keep the lock for the entire loop, we schedule away on line 882
with the socket lock dropped. This is a pretty standard (and safe) locking
technique.

> Except for doing a test on tcp_memory_free(sk), where we
> do NOT hold the lock we're so dutifully clinging to during
> the rest of the loop...

well, thats the point of the socket lock - we can access socket data
structures almost only via the socket lock.

Ingo