2000-11-01 13:23:06

by J{rvensivu Riku

Subject: Q: HPT370 RAID support?

Hello,

The Highpoint Technologies HPT370 ATA-100 + RAID chip is supported well
the lastest releases but it's RAID features are not implemented. I've
heard rumours telling that this chip isn't a real RAID chip possessing
only minimal (if any) hardware RAID capabilities and even those are
undocumented. Is this right or are there any plans to implement some RAID
features, as far as it would do any difference compared to the
really nicely working software-RAID? (Andre Hedrick?)

-------------------------------------
Riku J?rvensivu <[email protected]>

http://www.students.tut.fi/~galaxy/
-------------------------------------

2000-11-01 16:27:38

by Igmar Palsenberg

Subject: Re: Q: HPT370 RAID support?

> Hello,
>
> The Highpoint Technologies HPT370 ATA-100 + RAID chip is supported well
> the lastest releases but it's RAID features are not implemented. I've
> heard rumours telling that this chip isn't a real RAID chip possessing
> only minimal (if any) hardware RAID capabilities and even those are
> undocumented. Is this right or are there any plans to implement some RAID
> features, as far as it would do any difference compared to the
> really nicely working software-RAID? (Andre Hedrick?)

The RAID is a BIOS with some nice routines. It basically is a dual IDE
controller with some crappy peace of software. Should even be allowed to
be called 'RAID'.

The're giving custumers the impression they get RAID for $2, while a real
RAID setup costs a lot more. I call this misleading.

Igmar