2000-11-16 08:15:01

by Andreas S. Kerber

Subject: Large File Support

We need to handle files which are about 10GB large.
Is there any way to do this with Linux? Some pointers would be nice.

Andreas

2000-11-16 08:49:31

by Andreas Jaeger

Subject: Re: Large File Support

> We need to handle files which are about 10GB large.
> Is there any way to do this with Linux? Some pointers would be nice.

Yes, with recent 2.4 kernels or a patched 2.2 kernel - and a
recompiled glibc. For details check:

http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux-lfs.html

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger
SuSE Labs [email protected]

2000-11-16 09:54:40

by Andreas Jaeger

>> We need to handle files which are about 10GB large.
>> Is there any way to do this with Linux? Some pointers would be nice.

> Yes, with recent 2.4 kernels or a patched 2.2 kernel - and a
> recompiled glibc. For details check:

Upps, there was a typo in the URL - please try this one - or go to it
via my homepage:
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger
SuSE Labs [email protected]
private [email protected]
http://www.suse.de/~aj

2000-11-16 13:47:37

by Igmar Palsenberg

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Andreas S. Kerber wrote:

> We need to handle files which are about 10GB large.
> Is there any way to do this with Linux? Some pointers would be nice.

Install a kernel / glibc that handles LFS. Search for LFS on Freshmeat,
you'll end up with the right patch.

You'll probably need to recompile some stuff, see the LFS patches on what
define to use. I forgot.

> Andreas

Igmar