2000-11-20 18:58:54

by Michael J. Dikkema

Subject: Abit VP6 HPT370 support?

Does Linux 2.4pre support the raid controller on the abit vp6? The kernel
says it supports the 370, but it doesn't mention raid. I was confused as
to if there was a difference or not.

Also, OT, does anyone know if the controller is managed through hardware
or through software?

Thanks.

,.;::
: Michael J. Dikkema
| Systems / Network Admin - Internet Solutions, Inc.
| http://www.moot.mb.ca Work: (204) 982-1060
; [email protected]
',.

2000-11-20 19:07:45

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Soft Junk RAID!!! (Re: Abit VP6 HPT370 support?)

HELLO WORLD!!!!!

Michael, do not take this as a flame, please. You just happen to jump on
that nerve at the wrong point. ;-)

http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

Linux ATA Development Project, Supported Chipsets (p1 of 3)

Supported Chipsets and Vendors

Native "PURE HARDWARE RAID" support in Linux.
Escalade 3W-xxxx Fast ATA RAID series, 3ware, Inc.

Nothing below this line does RAID in/with Linux Drivers.

Please go READ THIS WORLD!

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Michael J. Dikkema wrote:

> Does Linux 2.4pre support the raid controller on the abit vp6? The kernel
> says it supports the 370, but it doesn't mention raid. I was confused as
> to if there was a difference or not.
>
> Also, OT, does anyone know if the controller is managed through hardware
> or through software?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ,.;::
> : Michael J. Dikkema
> | Systems / Network Admin - Internet Solutions, Inc.
> | http://www.moot.mb.ca Work: (204) 982-1060
> ; [email protected]
> ',.
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development

2000-11-20 20:11:52

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Abit VP6 HPT370 support?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Michael J. Dikkema wrote:

> Does Linux 2.4pre support the raid controller on the abit vp6? The kernel
> says it supports the 370, but it doesn't mention raid. I was confused as
> to if there was a difference or not.

I have a standalone card with the HPT370 chipset doing RAID fine.
Or at least did until one of the drives died within an hour of using it.
This was drive failure, not the card though. Whilst it was working,
it seemed to be working fine. :)

> Also, OT, does anyone know if the controller is managed through hardware
> or through software?

The packaging / manual for this card suggests that its hardware based.
If it isn't, it's extremely misleading.

regards,

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones <[email protected]> http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

2000-11-21 09:37:17

by Juri Haberland

[email protected] writes:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Michael J. Dikkema wrote:
>
> > Does Linux 2.4pre support the raid controller on the abit vp6? The kernel
> > says it supports the 370, but it doesn't mention raid. I was confused as
> > to if there was a difference or not.
>
> I have a standalone card with the HPT370 chipset doing RAID fine.
> Or at least did until one of the drives died within an hour of using it.
> This was drive failure, not the card though. Whilst it was working,
> it seemed to be working fine. :)
>
> > Also, OT, does anyone know if the controller is managed through hardware
> > or through software?
>
> The packaging / manual for this card suggests that its hardware based.
> If it isn't, it's extremely misleading.

There is an article about it in the current c't magazine which states
the RAID is done by the board's BIOS, but is not better than software
raid. I don't have the magazine at hand, so I can't go into detail.

H.

system engineer innominate AG
the linux architects
tel: +49.30.308806-0 fax: -77 http://www.innominate.com