2000-11-30 20:13:54

by Timothy A. DeWees

Subject: DVD on Linux

Hello,

Can someone please point me to a doc on how to mount a DVD drive.
COrrect me if I am wrong but the DVD file format is UDF? I did not see that
as an option when I compiled 2.2.17. Do I need to use 2.4.0testX to mount
DVD's? Thanks in advance!

--
Kind Regards,
Timothy A. DeWees

Attachments:
smime.p7s (2.79 kB)

2000-11-30 20:23:05

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: DVD on Linux

Turn on UDF support under filesystems.

mount -t udf /dev/foo /mnt/bar

"Timothy A. DeWees" wrote:
> Can someone please point me to a doc on how to mount a DVD drive.
> COrrect me if I am wrong but the DVD file format is UDF? I did not see that
> as an option when I compiled 2.2.17. Do I need to use 2.4.0testX to mount
> DVD's? Thanks in advance!

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Andreas Dilger

Timothy A. DeWees writes:
> Can someone please point me to a doc on how to mount a DVD drive.
> COrrect me if I am wrong but the DVD file format is UDF? I did not see that
> as an option when I compiled 2.2.17. Do I need to use 2.4.0testX to mount
> DVD's? Thanks in advance!

UDF is an extra patch for 2.2 kernels (it _may_ be in 2.2.18, I don't recall).
It is standard on 2.4. You can get the UDF patches at sourceforge, IIRC.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2000-12-13 10:20:28

by Gregoire Favre

zink wrote:

> The final 2.2.18 is out - I didn't see UDF option under filesystems, altough it should
> have been there - maybe we'll wait (for ages) untilfinal 2.4 is out.

I haven't used 2.2 for ages, but as far as I remember, you could just use iso9660 for DVD...
(Well since 2.2.n with n great enough...).

Greg
http://ulima.unil.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:[email protected]

2000-12-13 18:17:33

by Matthew D. Pitts

> > The final 2.2.18 is out - I didn't see UDF option under filesystems,
altough it should
> > have been there - maybe we'll wait (for ages) untilfinal 2.4 is out.
>
> I haven't used 2.2 for ages, but as far as I remember, you could just use
iso9660 for DVD...
> (Well since 2.2.n with n great enough...).
>
> Greg

Guys,
Is the code in the source for 2.2.18? If it is, then check the config.in
file in the fs/ dir for a commented block (like for usb). Unless it's been
folded into the iso9660 driver...

Matthew D. Pitts

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

nope, DVD discs all use UDF.
it'd be nice if they used something more common, but hey...

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Gregoire Favre wrote:

> zink wrote:
>
> > The final 2.2.18 is out - I didn't see UDF option under filesystems, altough it should
> > have been there - maybe we'll wait (for ages) untilfinal 2.4 is out.
>
> I haven't used 2.2 for ages, but as far as I remember, you could just use iso9660 for DVD...
> (Well since 2.2.n with n great enough...).
>
> Greg

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Dec 14 2000, Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:
> nope, DVD discs all use UDF.

Ehh, no that is very untrue. Most data dvd's use bridged iso9660/udf,
which works fine with Linux iso9660.

--
* Jens Axboe <[email protected]>
* SuSE Labs