2000-12-28 22:55:41

by Wakko Warner

Subject: USB web cam

I really hate to ask on the list, but if I was to buy a usb web cam, what
would be a good choice?

I would have tried linux-usb, but I didn't know where it was, sorry.

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: USB web cam

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I really hate to ask on the list, but if I was to buy a usb web
> cam, what would be a good choice?

The ov511-based cameras seem to work really nicely.

(this is a cheap chip, used in lots of different cameras)

And while we're on the topic of webcams:
http://distro.conectiva.com.br/webcam/ ;)

regards,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,
Trailer at 11.

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

2000-12-28 23:26:28

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 05:32:15PM -0500, Wakko Warner escreveu:
> I really hate to ask on the list, but if I was to buy a usb web cam, what
> would be a good choice?
>
> I would have tried linux-usb, but I didn't know where it was, sorry.

one based on the ov511 chipset, like the Creative Web Cam 3, look here:

http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511

ooops, it seems to be unreachable here, so look at
Documentation/usb/ov511.txt

- Arnaldo

2000-12-28 23:57:20

by J.A. Magallon

On 2000.12.28 Wakko Warner wrote:
> I really hate to ask on the list, but if I was to buy a usb web cam, what
> would be a good choice?
>
> I would have tried linux-usb, but I didn't know where it was, sorry.

Try a fresh new kernel, at least 2.2.18 or any 19-preX. They include usb
right 'out of the box'.

--
J.A. Magallon $> cd pub
mailto:[email protected] $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.19-pre3-aa3 #3 SMP Wed Dec 27 10:25:32 CET 2000 i686

2000-12-29 00:43:02

by Greg KH

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 05:32:15PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I would have tried linux-usb, but I didn't know where it was, sorry.

try http://www.linux-usb.org/

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com