2001-02-14 09:11:14

by David Howells

Subject: *grin* Windows 2000 & HPC: Scalable, Inexpensive Supercomputing Solutions

How this for a laugh:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp

David

2001-02-14 13:39:37

by Jonathan Morton

At 9:10 am +0000 14/2/2001, David Howells wrote:
>How this for a laugh:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp

Can anybody say "Beowulf cluster"? I bet you need a W2K license for every
box you hook up, too.

from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail: [email protected] (not for attachments)
big-mail: [email protected]
uni-mail: [email protected]

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/

2001-02-14 14:22:46

by Mike Harrold

Subject: Re: *grin* Windows 2000 & HPC: Scalable, Inexpensive

> At 9:10 am +0000 14/2/2001, David Howells wrote:
> >How this for a laugh:
> >
> >http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
> >

> Can anybody say "Beowulf cluster"? I bet you need a W2K license for every
> box you hook up, too.

The sad thing is, 3/4 of the page is an outright lie. It isn't
a first, W2k is not the de facto standard OS, and the TCO is
significantly higher than any cluster running Linux.

It's a sad day when companies can get away with blatant lies
all in the name of "marketing."

/Mike

2001-02-15 14:05:26

by Scott Prader

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:21:24AM -0500, Mike Harrold wrote:

> > At 9:10 am +0000 14/2/2001, David Howells wrote:
> > >How this for a laugh:
> > >
> > >http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
> > >

> > Can anybody say "Beowulf cluster"? I bet you need a W2K license for every
> > box you hook up, too.
>
> The sad thing is, 3/4 of the page is an outright lie. It isn't
> a first, W2k is not the de facto standard OS, and the TCO is
> significantly higher than any cluster running Linux.

That's right, extreme linux has been around for years, and now they've
changed the name to Scyld Linux at http://www.scyld.com .. I managed to pick up
a couple of cds of scyld linux at lwe a couple of weeks ago.. I have yet
to install it but i did boot it up.... all i can say is SHWEEET!! found
my ata66 stuff right off the bat... it's based on redhat 6.2 but they've
made some VERY nice changes to the installation procedure... on top of
that, you only really need to install it on the master node... just boot
the cd in all of the slave nodes for each to become a node. no hard
drives required. :)

--
.oO Gnea [gnea at rochester dot rr dot com] Oo.
.oO url: http://garson.org/~gnea Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tuna fish." -unknown

2001-02-20 20:30:01

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Mike Harrold wrote:

> The sad thing is, 3/4 of the page is an outright lie. It isn't
> a first, W2k is not the de facto standard OS, and the TCO is
> significantly higher than any cluster running Linux.

No shit, not to mention that Linux is going to be faster and better suited
to the task.

> It's a sad day when companies can get away with blatant lies
> all in the name of "marketing."

Unfortunately that happens all too often. I'd _LOVE_ to be in a legal
position where I could slap M$ (and any other company that does this, for
that matter) and put them in their place. Feeding off the ignorance in
society is counterproductive.

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771