2001-02-28 19:58:35

by Boris Dragovic

Subject: negative mod use count

hi,
what does negative module use count mean?

lynx

2001-02-28 20:09:09

by Brian Gerst

Subject: Re: negative mod use count

Boris Dragovic wrote:

> hi,
> what does negative module use count mean?

A bugged module.

--

Brian Gerst

2001-02-28 20:32:09

by Frank v Waveren

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:08:11PM -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> > what does negative module use count mean?
> A bugged module.

Not at all. A non-zero usage count means the module can't be unloaded.
Whatever the module does with the usage count apart from that is
completely it's own choice.

--
Frank v Waveren Fingerprint: 0EDB 8787
fvw@[var.cx|dse.nl|stack.nl|chello.nl] ICQ#10074100 09B9 6EF5 6425 B855

2001-02-28 23:11:45

by Russell King

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:31:46PM +0100, Frank v Waveren wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:08:11PM -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> > > what does negative module use count mean?
> > A bugged module.
>
> Not at all. A non-zero usage count means the module can't be unloaded.
> Whatever the module does with the usage count apart from that is
> completely it's own choice.

A negative module use count (specifically "-1") depends on whether a
module has a "can_unload" routine. If it does not have a "can_unload"
routine, then chances are either the module decided "I can never be
removed" or else the module is buggy.

However, if a "can_unload" routine does exist (as in ipv6) then the
module use count is unconditionally set to "-1".

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Keith Owens

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:58:06 +0100,
Boris Dragovic <[email protected]> wrote:
>what does negative module use count mean?

Either an extra MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT was issued (buggy code) or the module
has a can_unload() function. When modules define a can_unload()
routine then the use count is always displayed as -1 because the module
decides if it can be unloaded.

2001-03-02 00:57:12

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Boris Dragovic wrote:
> what does negative module use count mean?

That means that there's a bug in someone's driver.
For some reason, the function to decrement the module use is called more
than once when a controlling process releases use of a module.

This will prevent you from being able to 'rmmod' or 'modprobe -r' it; a
"Device or resource busy" error or similar will result IIRC.

Submit a bug to the driver maintainer.

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771

by Russell King

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 04:55:30PM -0800, Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Boris Dragovic wrote:
> > what does negative module use count mean?
>
> That means that there's a bug in someone's driver.

Not necessarily. Please read the other replies (specifically mine) to
discover the real answer as to why modules can _legally_ have negative
use counts.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Boris Dragovic

> Not necessarily. Please read the other replies (specifically mine) to
> discover the real answer as to why modules can _legally_ have negative
> use counts.

thanks to all the replies, I think it is a bug in the module since the
use count is -3 :). it is ltmodem driver for lucent win modems...

thnx,
lynx