2001-03-04 13:25:33

by Christian Hilgers

Subject: DVD Problem

Hi,

I'm trying to use the 2.4.1 Kernel but I have some troubles with my
ATAPI Matsushita UJDA510 DVD (Intel 82371AB/EP PCI Bus Master IDE
Controler).
It works perfekt with CD-Rom but when I try to read a ISO 9660 DVD I got
an error.

I can mount the DVD and I can list the complet content but I guess I
can't access any File behind 650 MB.

e.g.

mount /cdrom
$ cat /cdrom/blah/blah/INDEX
cat: INDEX.german: Input/output error

The kernel log
Mar 3 18:45:06 laptop kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
ide1(22,0)
Mar 3 18:45:10 laptop kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Mar 3 18:46:05 laptop kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Mar 3 18:46:05 laptop kernel: 16:00: rw=0, want=2855480, limit=1052700

It also works well with a 2.2.14-SuSE Kernel.

Any hints.

Thanks
Christian

2001-03-04 15:52:16

by David Gómez

Subject: Re: DVD Problem

So you need to compile the kernel with UDF support , which is the
filesystem used in DVDs. As you said, iso9660 works, but only for the
first 650 mb. And after it take a look at http://www.linuxvideo.org and
http://www.videolan.org.

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the 2.4.1 Kernel but I have some troubles with my
> ATAPI Matsushita UJDA510 DVD (Intel 82371AB/EP PCI Bus Master IDE
> Controler).
> It works perfekt with CD-Rom but when I try to read a ISO 9660 DVD I got
> an error.
>
> I can mount the DVD and I can list the complet content but I guess I
> can't access any File behind 650 MB.
>
> e.g.
>
> mount /cdrom
> $ cat /cdrom/blah/blah/INDEX
> cat: INDEX.german: Input/output error
>
> The kernel log
> Mar 3 18:45:06 laptop kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
> ide1(22,0)
> Mar 3 18:45:10 laptop kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
> Mar 3 18:46:05 laptop kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> Mar 3 18:46:05 laptop kernel: 16:00: rw=0, want=2855480, limit=1052700
>
> It also works well with a 2.2.14-SuSE Kernel.
>
> Any hints.
>
> Thanks
> Christian
>
> -

David G?mez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

2001-03-04 18:13:39

by Christian Hilgers

Von: <[email protected]>

>On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Christian Hilgers wrote:
>
>So you need to compile the kernel with UDF support , which is the
>filesystem used in DVDs. As you said, iso9660 works, but only for the
>first 650 mb. And after it take a look at http://www.linuxvideo.org and
>http://www.videolan.org.

UDF was the first I tried, but it didn't work.

Christian

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use the 2.4.1 Kernel but I have some troubles with my
>> ATAPI Matsushita UJDA510 DVD (Intel 82371AB/EP PCI Bus Master IDE
>> Controler).
>> It works perfekt with CD-Rom but when I try to read a ISO 9660 DVD I
got
>> an error.
>>
>> I can mount the DVD and I can list the complet content but I guess I
>> can't access any File behind 650 MB.

2001-03-05 11:07:31

by Christian Hilgers

>> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Christian Hilgers wrote:
>>
>> So you need to compile the kernel with UDF support , which is the
>> filesystem used in DVDs. As you said, iso9660 works, but only for the
>> first 650 mb. And after it take a look at http://www.linuxvideo.org and
>> http://www.videolan.org.
>
>Won?t work. UDF is a fs of its own. I think there?s something wrong
with ide
>(DVD or controller or BIOS ) which reports wrong device size ...

I tried Kernel 2.4.0, this one is also working fine. Than I used the
same .config for the 2.4.1 Kernel.
And the DVD did't work!!
Maybe a bug in the CD-Rom driver?
I think I will try the 2.4.2 Kernel.

Christian

2001-03-05 12:23:11

by Jens Axboe

On Mon, Mar 05 2001, Christian Hilgers wrote:
> I tried Kernel 2.4.0, this one is also working fine. Than I used the
> same .config for the 2.4.1 Kernel.
> And the DVD did't work!!
> Maybe a bug in the CD-Rom driver?
> I think I will try the 2.4.2 Kernel.

The bug has been fixed in 2.4.2

--
Jens Axboe

2001-03-05 13:36:56

by Christian Hilgers

>>> So you need to compile the kernel with UDF support , which is the
>>> filesystem used in DVDs. As you said, iso9660 works, but only for
the
>>> first 650 mb. And after it take a look at http://www.linuxvideo.org and
>>> http://www.videolan.org.
>>
>>Won?t work. UDF is a fs of its own. I think there?s something wrong
>>with ide
>>(DVD or controller or BIOS ) which reports wrong device size ...
>
>I tried Kernel 2.4.0, this one is also working fine. Than I used the
>same .config for the 2.4.1 Kernel.
>And the DVD did't work!!
>Maybe a bug in the CD-Rom driver?
>I think I will try the 2.4.2 Kernel.