2001-11-22 13:42:55

by Thomas S. Iversen

Subject: XIP linux?

Hi There

I have a wonderfull HP omnibook 600C lying around here. It is a monster
machine with a 486-50Mhz and 4Mb ram. The hdd system is based on pcmcia
harddrives but mine is long gone to lala-land (badblocks everywhere).

So I thought of installing a CompactFlash card with a complete linux
system on it. Because of wear on the flash part I have to do without
swap. And as I only have 4Mb ram on the system I have to conserve that
also. So a couple of questions:

1. Are there any patches for making linux run from a CF card?
2. Anybody know anyting about making a XIP linux disk? (all code stays on
the CF card, only datastructures and the like eat up the little memory I
have)?

Any hint, pointer, anything will be greatly appriciated :)

Regards Thomas, Denmark

2001-11-22 13:48:16

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: XIP linux?

[email protected] said:
> 1. Are there any patches for making linux run from a CF card?

It is an IDE disk. You may think it has flash inside - we couldn't possibly
comment. As far as the computer is concerned, it is an IDE disk.

> 2. Anybody know anyting about making a XIP linux disk? (all code stays on
> the CF card, only datastructures and the like eat up the little memory
> I have)?

You can't do XIP from an IDE disk.

--
dwmw2