2002-06-18 10:37:27

by Hans E. Kristiansen

Subject: 2.5.22 problems with compile.h

I really need some help with compiling version 2.5.22

>From a clean install, I can compile, but I get an error with compile.h (Do
not know how to make compile.h). If I compile again, I get a working kernel
(bzImage), "depmod -ae -F xx " works like a charm. But, when I reboot with
the new kernel, I can not load any modules. None, they all have symbol
problems.

I use grub for loading, and I have verified that I have the correct
System.map

My last kernel is 2.5.19, which works like a charm ( well... ).

To compile a kernel, I use "make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install",
except for the first compile after an upgrade where I run "make oldconfig"
first.

Thanks,
Hans E.

2002-06-18 12:39:06

by Martin Diehl

Subject: Re: 2.5.22 problems with compile.h

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Hans E. Kristiansen wrote:

> I really need some help with compiling version 2.5.22
>
> >From a clean install, I can compile, but I get an error with compile.h (Do
> not know how to make compile.h). If I compile again, I get a working kernel

same here - see below.

> (bzImage), "depmod -ae -F xx " works like a charm. But, when I reboot with
> the new kernel, I can not load any modules. None, they all have symbol
> problems.

There are two patches from Kai Germaschewski in the "2.5.22 broke
modversions" thread which solved this issue for me.

> To compile a kernel, I use "make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install",

replacing this by separate "make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make
modules; make modules_install" invokations solved the compile.h problem
for me.

HTH
Martin

2002-06-18 14:36:27

by Kai Germaschewski

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Hans E. Kristiansen wrote:

> >From a clean install, I can compile, but I get an error with compile.h (Do
> not know how to make compile.h). If I compile again, I get a working kernel
> (bzImage), "depmod -ae -F xx " works like a charm. But, when I reboot with
> the new kernel, I can not load any modules. None, they all have symbol
> problems.

Seems that I screwed up that version a bit ;(

For now, don't use something like "make dep clean bzImage", but rather
"make clean; make dep bzImage" - it'll work again in the next release,
though.

Modversions also have bugs, though I can't see how they lead to the effect
you describe. Anyway, try changing CONFIG_MODVERSIONS to off for now,
again, it should work again in the next release.

Let me know of further problems ;)

--Kai

2002-06-18 15:58:40

by Hans E. Kristiansen

I applied your patch which was included in an earlier email on the advice
from Mr. Martin Deal, and it works! Can't ask for more. At last I can go
back to my userland programming.

Perhaps the real problem is that Linus released 2.5.22 on a Monday :)

TTFN,
Hans E.

--- snip ----