2002-03-07 20:00:36

by Holger Lubitz

Subject: 160gb maxtor with promise ultra 100

hi,

recently i installed two 160gb maxtor drives. using the latest ac-kernel
(.19-pre2-ac3), they were detected correctly. however, the promise ultra
100 (detected as pdc 20267) hangs at the partition check. last thing it
prints is "hde:" and it's dead. however, if i connect the drives to the
onboard piix3 ide, they are detected correctly, survive the partition
check, and _do_ work as 160gb drives, but slow (piix3 only supports
mdma2, no udma). if i boot the latest non-ac-kernel available on the
machine (which is the not so recent 2.4.14) the drives are misdetected
as only 137gb (of course, no 48 bit support) but otherwise the machine
works, even with the drives connected to the promise.

so the situation is - either i use the full 160 gb, but only mdma2 data
transfer. or i use udma 100, but only 137 gb of the drives. i can't seem
to have both.

i am out of ideas what might be causing this. of course i could just
throw the promise out and leave the drives connected to the on board
controller, but... other ideas?

tia,
holger

2002-03-07 20:34:20

by Alan

Subject: Re: 160gb maxtor with promise ultra 100

> machine (which is the not so recent 2.4.14) the drives are misdetected
> as only 137gb (of course, no 48 bit support) but otherwise the machine
> works, even with the drives connected to the promise.
>
> so the situation is - either i use the full 160 gb, but only mdma2 data
> transfer. or i use udma 100, but only 137 gb of the drives. i can't seem
> to have both.

Seems to be the case. Promise posted some driver updates today, which in
part appear to address precisely this issue. It just needs the IDE update
and the promise code merging then hopefully it can be in for 2.4.19

2002-03-07 21:15:02

by Matan Ziv-Av

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Holger Lubitz wrote:

> hi,
>
> recently i installed two 160gb maxtor drives. using the latest ac-kernel
> (.19-pre2-ac3), they were detected correctly. however, the promise ultra
> 100 (detected as pdc 20267) hangs at the partition check. last thing it
> prints is "hde:" and it's dead. however, if i connect the drives to the
> onboard piix3 ide, they are detected correctly, survive the partition
> check, and _do_ work as 160gb drives, but slow (piix3 only supports
> mdma2, no udma). if i boot the latest non-ac-kernel available on the
> machine (which is the not so recent 2.4.14) the drives are misdetected
> as only 137gb (of course, no 48 bit support) but otherwise the machine
> works, even with the drives connected to the promise.

I had something similar - with 2.4.17+ide patch and PDC20265. The kernel
hanged at exactly the same position. I moved the disk to hdg (master on
second channel, instead of first), and it works OK.

--
Matan Ziv-Av. [email protected]

2002-03-08 02:41:11

by Kelsey Hudson

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Holger Lubitz wrote:

> recently i installed two 160gb maxtor drives. using the latest ac-kernel
> (.19-pre2-ac3), they were detected correctly. however, the promise ultra
> 100 (detected as pdc 20267) hangs at the partition check. last thing it
> prints is "hde:" and it's dead. however, if i connect the drives to the
> onboard piix3 ide, they are detected correctly, survive the partition
> check, and _do_ work as 160gb drives, but slow (piix3 only supports
> mdma2, no udma). if i boot the latest non-ac-kernel available on the
> machine (which is the not so recent 2.4.14) the drives are misdetected
> as only 137gb (of course, no 48 bit support) but otherwise the machine
> works, even with the drives connected to the promise.
>
> so the situation is - either i use the full 160 gb, but only mdma2 data
> transfer. or i use udma 100, but only 137 gb of the drives. i can't seem
> to have both.
>
> i am out of ideas what might be causing this. of course i could just
> throw the promise out and leave the drives connected to the on board
> controller, but... other ideas?

Check promise's website for a bios update for the controller. the earlier
versions of the ultra100 don't have 48 bit lba support, if i recall
correctly.

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Associate Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771
==== 0100101101001001010000110100101100100000010010010101010000100001 =====

2002-03-08 14:45:04

by Holger Lubitz

Kelsey Hudson proclaimed:

> Check promise's website for a bios update for the controller. the earlier
> versions of the ultra100 don't have 48 bit lba support, if i recall
> correctly.

Neither does the latest I know of (2.01 Build 27). This shouldn't be the
problem, though, since the machine boots from SCSI. The Maxtor drives
are just cheap data storage. I also think that the linux driver does not
use the BIOS at all, just the hardware.

Well, let's hope for 2.4.19. Will use the onboard IDE for the time
being.

Holger

2002-03-08 14:48:14

by Holger Lubitz

Matan proclaimed:
> I had something similar - with 2.4.17+ide patch and PDC20265. The kernel
> hanged at exactly the same position. I moved the disk to hdg (master on
> second channel, instead of first), and it works OK.

Thanks for the hint, but this is not really an option for me. Both
drives should be master on their own channel. I would have tried with
both drives on the secondary channel, unfortunately the cable is too
short for that configuration. It would barely work for the primary, but
then I still have the hde: problem.

Holger