2000-12-12 12:15:30

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: 2.4.0-test12 not liking high disk i/o

Hey guys,

Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
in test12?

I was able to grab the tail end of an oops. Probably not too usefull.

Code: 89 42 04 89 10 b8 01 00 00 00 07 43 04 00 00 00 00 c7 03 00
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing.

If I Alt+SysRq+s I get more oops (only tails again) and if I do it
enough times it hits a BUG and reboots immediately.

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: 2.4.0-test12 not liking high disk i/o

If anyone is interested, this is what I am doing before it blows up
everytime...

sudo tar zxfv ~mhaque/linux-2.4.0-test5.tar.gz
cd linux
cat ~mhaque/kernel-patches/patch-2.4.0-test? ~mhaque/kernel-patches/patch-2.4.0-test1? | sudo patch -p1
sudo make mrproper
sudo cp ~/kernel-config .config
sudo make oldconfig
sudo make dep bzImage modules modules_install install

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> in test12?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Mohammad A. Haque

Weird. I just booted from a test12 kernel I compiled (under test11) from
completely clean sources
and tried this again and no problems. I'm just gonna put this down as a
fluke unless someone else someone else sees it or I lockup again.

The only problem I have now is unresolved symbols in some scsi related
modules.

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/i2o/i2o_scsi.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/scsi/st.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test12/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o

"Mohammad A. Haque" wrote:

> If anyone is interested, this is what I am doing before it blows up
> everytime...
>
> sudo tar zxfv ~mhaque/linux-2.4.0-test5.tar.gz
> cd linux
> cat ~mhaque/kernel-patches/patch-2.4.0-test? ~mhaque/kernel-patches/patch-2.4.0-test1? | sudo patch -p1
> sudo make mrproper
> sudo cp ~/kernel-config .config
> sudo make oldconfig
> sudo make dep bzImage modules modules_install install
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> > in test12?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Mohammad A. Haque

I spoke too soon. It did it again while I was in X. Fetchmail/sendmail
was doing mail stuff. The two were also running the other times also so
its possible that this could be the trigger.

"Mohammad A. Haque" wrote:

> Weird. I just booted from a test12 kernel I compiled (under test11) from
> completely clean sources
> and tried this again and no problems. I'm just gonna put this down as a
> fluke unless someone else someone else sees it or I lockup again.

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> in test12?

Yes, I've had some complete freezes (nothing working at all) in
test12-pre8 and test12. They can be triggered by e.g. Netscape.
test12-pre7 seems to be stable.

--
Niels Kristian Bech Jensen -- [email protected] -- http://www.image.dk/~nkbj/

----------->> Stop software piracy --- use free software! <<-----------

2000-12-12 17:38:24

by Petr Vandrovec

On 12 Dec 00 at 17:43, Niels Kristian Bech Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
>
> > Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> > in test12?
> >
> Yes, I've had some complete freezes (nothing working at all) in
> test12-pre8 and test12. They can be triggered by e.g. Netscape.
> test12-pre7 seems to be stable.

test12-pre8 deadlocked (but probably livelocked, as NMI watchdog was
not trigerred? or maybe NMI is not trigerred when spinning with interrupts
enabled) on me. One CPU was spinning in
drivers/char/tty_io.c:do_tty_write:716 in lock_kernel(), another one in
fs/fat/inode.c:fat_write_inode:863 in spin_lock(&fat_inode_lock).
But as I did not found how this could happen, I did not report it
(afaik if you hold fat_inode_lock, you never sleep, not even talking
about invoking fat_write_inode... But maybe I overlooked some codepath).

Of course, I do not have full stack traces of these two offenders, as
I do not have kdb in kernel yet...

It happened when I decided to copy old 18GB IDE disk to new 40GB IDE one
(both UDMA33, one (18GB src) as primary master, one (40GB dst) as
secondary master; i440BX).

During copy of 8GB ext2 partition I decided that copying 200MB of data
from VFAT in parallel (and leaving room for a while) with ext2 copy
should not kill system, so I did it. Unfortunately, it killed it :-(
ext2 was copied with tar clf - /mnt2 | (cd /new/mnt2 ; tar xf -), vfat
was copied with midnight commander. From status on screen of mc it looks
like that deadlock occured after copy, but before screen was refreshed -
mc showed status 100%, copying last file in root directory of vfat.
vfat contents was copied to same partition as ext2, if that matters.

BTW, what's correct way of loading .o kernel module into gdb? I noticed
that if I create shared module from it (I was doing this up to now),
(mine) ld drops .text.lock section. Have I to use (modified) vmlinux.lds
for linking? (if loaded as relocatable module, all sections begins
at zero, overlapping one over another)
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec

by ferret

Can you tell us what controller chipset you have (output of lspci should
be fine) and if your hard drive has DMA or uDMA enabled?

There have been a few other reports of oopsen and fs corruption during
periods of high interrupt activity. Mine seems to occur whenever I
saturate my local network with traffic to/from the machine, but it is fine
if I turn DMA off (using hdparm -d0 /dev/hda)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> in test12?
>
> I was able to grab the tail end of an oops. Probably not too usefull.
>
> Code: 89 42 04 89 10 b8 01 00 00 00 07 43 04 00 00 00 00 c7 03 00
> Aiee, killing interrupt handler
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> In interrupt handler - not syncing.
>
> If I Alt+SysRq+s I get more oops (only tails again) and if I do it
> enough times it hits a BUG and reboots immediately.

> Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
> [email protected]
>
> "Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
> Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/
> [email protected]

by Pete Toscano

well, i hate to be piling on here, but i just encountered this (i think
it's this) this morning. i was printing a 145+m file (to /dev/lp0) from
an ide drive and it locked up. just before the lockup, i noticed it was
very sluggish, as if it were under very heavy load (which is really
wasn't). this is on an smp-enabled machine (noapic at lilo prompt
because of the usb/pirq(?) problem). i'm using 2.4.0-test12 on a tyan
tiger 133 (via apollo 133a chipset) mobo. the machine has 512m memory
and another 512m in swap (didn't notice much swap activity, but i could
have missed it). there were no messages in the logs.

if there's any info i can provide or tests i can run, just let me know.

pete

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> On 12 Dec 00 at 17:43, Niels Kristian Bech Jensen wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> >
> > > Any one else experiencing problems when they do lots of disk activity
> > > in test12?
> > >
> > Yes, I've had some complete freezes (nothing working at all) in
> > test12-pre8 and test12. They can be triggered by e.g. Netscape.
> > test12-pre7 seems to be stable.

--
Pete Toscano p:[email protected] w:[email protected]
GPG fingerprint: D8F5 A087 9A4C 56BB 8F78 B29C 1FF0 1BA7 9008 2736

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.24 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Mohammad A. Haque

i440BX is consistent with mine as is running the drive at UDMA33.

> It happened when I decided to copy old 18GB IDE disk to new 40GB IDE one
> (both UDMA33, one (18GB src) as primary master, one (40GB dst) as
> secondary master; i440BX).

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> i440BX is consistent with mine as is running the drive at UDMA33.
>
> > It happened when I decided to copy old 18GB IDE disk to new 40GB IDE one
> > (both UDMA33, one (18GB src) as primary master, one (40GB dst) as
> > secondary master; i440BX).

My system is an old 486DX4-100MHz (AMD processor), SiS 85C496 chipset,
and no UDMA33.