2000-12-23 16:42:25

by Alex Buell

Subject: Netgear FA311

I recently bought a Netgear FA311 which does 10/100Mb/ethernet for my
first home network. I've looked and found driver sources which apparently
works only for 2.0.36. Ulp! Before I start cracking my knuckles and
working my deep magic to get it to work on 2.2.x, is there any drivers
already sorted for this card on the 2.2.x series?

If not, where can I find documentation on converting 2.0.x drivers to
2.2.x?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Alex
--
I stand in my undergarments and hurl inventive in your general direction.

http://www.tahallah.clara.co.uk

2000-12-23 18:25:21

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: Re: Netgear FA311

I don't know how its different from the FA310TX that I have. The 310TX
uses the tulip drivers so you may want to give that a shot.

Maybe you can get us a name/number off the IC on the card?

Alex Buell wrote:

> I recently bought a Netgear FA311 which does 10/100Mb/ethernet for my
> first home network. I've looked and found driver sources which apparently
> works only for 2.0.36. Ulp! Before I start cracking my knuckles and
> working my deep magic to get it to work on 2.2.x, is there any drivers
> already sorted for this card on the 2.2.x series?
>
> If not, where can I find documentation on converting 2.0.x drivers to
> 2.2.x?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Mohammad A. Haque

Is this where you got the sources?
http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html (Thanks Steve)

Alex Buell wrote:

> I recently bought a Netgear FA311 which does 10/100Mb/ethernet for my
> first home network. I've looked and found driver sources which apparently

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Marcus Meissner

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> Is this where you got the sources?
> http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html (Thanks Steve)

The linux driver is actually on the accompanying floppy disk. Without license
statement unfortunately.

Ciao, Marcus

2000-12-23 19:58:58

by Alex Buell

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> > Is this where you got the sources?
> > http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html (Thanks Steve)
>
> The linux driver is actually on the accompanying floppy disk. Without license
> statement unfortunately.

I got a floppy disk with the netgear fa311, but the only linux sources on
it was for 2.0.36!

Cheers,
Alex
--
I stand in my undergarments and hurl inventive in your general direction.

http://www.tahallah.clara.co.uk

2000-12-23 20:06:29

by tc lewis

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Alex Buell wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
> > > Is this where you got the sources?
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html (Thanks Steve)
> >
> > The linux driver is actually on the accompanying floppy disk. Without license
> > statement unfortunately.
>
> I got a floppy disk with the netgear fa311, but the only linux sources on
> it was for 2.0.36!

yeah i believe that natsemi driver is supposed to work with that 311 card,
although i have heard of issues with that now and then. to be honest i
haven't followed very closely, as i don't use those cards/chips. that
scyld.com page should have all the info you need, as well as info on an
accompianing mailing list for further help.

if whatever distro/kernel you're using already has a compiled natsemi
driver you can just try it out by messing with /etc/conf.modules or
/etc/modules.conf or whatever proper files your distribution uses.

-tcl.

2000-12-23 20:21:33

by Alex Buell

Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 (follow-up)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Alex Buell wrote:

> I recently bought a Netgear FA311 which does 10/100Mb/ethernet for my
> first home network. I've looked and found driver sources which
> apparently works only for 2.0.36. Ulp! Before I start cracking my
> knuckles and working my deep magic to get it to work on 2.2.x, is
> there any drivers already sorted for this card on the 2.2.x series?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've now got Donald Becker's natsemi
drivers from his site and have successfully compiled it. Whether it'll
work is another story as I've got to crack this box and put in the card..

Won't be long before I'll have my 100 megabits home network up and
running, I hope. <big evil grin> Not long before I'll frag my kid brother
in Quake too!

Cheers,
Alex