2001-02-27 14:54:50

by imel96

Subject: [RFC] linux class diagrams

hi,

i put some gifs describing linux. they're in uml.
linux doesn't have class, so i tried to capture every
struct (struct is kinda class in c++) related to task_struct.

why? it's a school project. but it turned out to be a help to
understand the kernel. maybe the kernel could use more object
oriented design, like the inode?

anyway, i need some pointers and comments.

imel

2001-02-27 15:22:12

by Erik Mouw

Subject: Re: [RFC] linux class diagrams

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:54:54PM +0700, [email protected] wrote:
> i put some gifs describing linux. they're in uml.
> linux doesn't have class, so i tried to capture every
> struct (struct is kinda class in c++) related to task_struct.
>
> why? it's a school project. but it turned out to be a help to
> understand the kernel. maybe the kernel could use more object
> oriented design, like the inode?
>
> anyway, i need some pointers and comments.

Well, http://www.kernelnewbies.org/ is a good starting point for
information, but we are always open for better/more information. Just
drop by on the #kernelnewbies IRC channel.

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by imel96

hah, i forgot the url.
it's at http://www.trustix.co.id/~imel96/linux/

#kernelnewbies have not much help, or they all live in
different time zone.
i just wanna know how people look at the kernel at design
level. is it describeable in uml, etc.

imel

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:54:54PM +0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > i put some gifs describing linux. they're in uml.
> > linux doesn't have class, so i tried to capture every
> > struct (struct is kinda class in c++) related to task_struct.
> >
> > why? it's a school project. but it turned out to be a help to
> > understand the kernel. maybe the kernel could use more object
> > oriented design, like the inode?
> >
> > anyway, i need some pointers and comments.
>
> Well, http://www.kernelnewbies.org/ is a good starting point for
> information, but we are always open for better/more information. Just
> drop by on the #kernelnewbies IRC channel.

2001-03-01 01:30:03

by Erik Mouw

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 05:47:55PM +0700, [email protected] wrote:
> hah, i forgot the url.
> it's at http://www.trustix.co.id/~imel96/linux/

Nice. Can we copy them on http://www.kernelnewbies.org? They might be useful
for others as well.

> #kernelnewbies have not much help, or they all live in
> different time zone.

I think you're wrong on that. Having different timezones means that
there are kernel hackers all around the clock on #kernelnewbies.

> i just wanna know how people look at the kernel at design
> level. is it describeable in uml, etc.

Then the best way is to talk to people. You might as well do that on
IRC :)

Erik

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Erik Mouw wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:54:54PM +0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > > i put some gifs describing linux. they're in uml.
> > > linux doesn't have class, so i tried to capture every
> > > struct (struct is kinda class in c++) related to task_struct.
> > >
> > > why? it's a school project. but it turned out to be a help to
> > > understand the kernel. maybe the kernel could use more object
> > > oriented design, like the inode?
> > >
> > > anyway, i need some pointers and comments.
> >
> > Well, http://www.kernelnewbies.org/ is a good starting point for
> > information, but we are always open for better/more information. Just
> > drop by on the #kernelnewbies IRC channel.

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by imel96

sure, the gifs. i have to clean up the argouml files,
there're some duplicate classes. i added tty_struct.

if only i had the original c++ preprocessor. it'll
be interesting to c++ code which compiles with
a c compiler.

imel