2001-03-03 19:53:10

by Peter Jay Salzman

Subject: my first post to the list - newbie alert

dear all,

i'm in the process of learning how to write modules. i've read the first 4
chapters of alessandro rubini's o'reilly book "writing linux device drivers".
looking through modern drivers, i see a lot has changed.

for the next few months, i'll prolly have a lot of really newbie questions.
i realize that this list is for serious kernel development.

is there a more suitable mailing list for me to sign up for? debian has a
mailing list both for package maintainers and those who are trying to learn
how to be package maintainers.

is there a similar thing with the kernel mailing list?

since i haven't signed on yet, can you please cc me the reply. if it turns
out this is the correct list, i'll sign on pronto.

much thanks!
pete

ps- you have a great FAQ. i now know how to avoid the APIC errors that get
printed on all my consoles. thank you!

Attachments:
(No filename) (864.00 B)
(No filename) (240.00 B)

by bert hubert

Subject: Re: my first post to the list - newbie alert

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 11:52:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> is there a more suitable mailing list for me to sign up for? debian has a
> mailing list both for package maintainers and those who are trying to learn
> how to be package maintainers.
>
> is there a similar thing with the kernel mailing list?

If you ask the right questions and take care to have RTFM'd, as you already
appear to be doing reading the book you mentioned, people here are generally
very friendly.

Another great place to ask questions is on irc, see
http://www.kernelnewbies.org

> since i haven't signed on yet, can you please cc me the reply. if it turns
> out this is the correct list, i'll sign on pronto.

For serious questions, this is definitely the place. For 'I can't be
bothered to read the source and find out how it works'-questions, you should
hire somebody :-)

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Versatile DNS Services
Trilab The Technology People

2001-03-03 20:57:12

by James A Sutherland

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, bert hubert wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 11:52:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > is there a more suitable mailing list for me to sign up for? debian has a
> > mailing list both for package maintainers and those who are trying to learn
> > how to be package maintainers.
> >
> > is there a similar thing with the kernel mailing list?
>
> If you ask the right questions and take care to have RTFM'd, as you already
> appear to be doing reading the book you mentioned, people here are generally
> very friendly.
>
> Another great place to ask questions is on irc, see
> http://www.kernelnewbies.org

A good place to ask "newbie" questions without being told to RTFM!

> > since i haven't signed on yet, can you please cc me the reply. if it turns
> > out this is the correct list, i'll sign on pronto.
>
> For serious questions, this is definitely the place. For 'I can't be
> bothered to read the source and find out how it works'-questions, you should
> hire somebody :-)

Yep - a few companies now offer paid-for tech support of various supports.
No idea what they're like, though...

James.

2001-03-03 21:07:23

by bert hubert

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 08:59:27PM +0000, James A. Sutherland wrote:

> > Another great place to ask questions is on irc, see
> > http://www.kernelnewbies.org

> A good place to ask "newbie" questions without being told to RTFM!

<beavis>You might even score!</beavis>

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Versatile DNS Services
Trilab The Technology People
'SYN! .. SYN|ACK! .. ACK!' - the mating call of the internet

2001-03-03 22:17:17

by Alan

> > A good place to ask "newbie" questions without being told to RTFM!
>
> <beavis>You might even score!</beavis>

Of course its attitudes like that which leads them to have to set up their
own mailing lists, and contribute to the rather low count of women on the
kernel credits

2001-03-03 22:24:08

by bert hubert

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 10:20:02PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > A good place to ask "newbie" questions without being told to RTFM!
> >
> > <beavis>You might even score!</beavis>
>
> Of course its attitudes like that which leads them to have to set up their
> own mailing lists, and contribute to the rather low count of women on the
> kernel credits

Alan,

I think highly of women and even employ one in a programming position -
there is no bias on my part. In fact, she is even ON the linuxchix
mailinglist, and I suspect that she would've appreciated my joke.

If people feel put of by me making a joke, well, I apologise for that.

In my not so humble opinion however, I didn't insult anybody above, but then
again, I've been known to be wrong.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Versatile DNS Services
Trilab The Technology People
'SYN! .. SYN|ACK! .. ACK!' - the mating call of the internet

2001-03-04 10:17:12

by _Shad0w_

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > <beavis>You might even score!</beavis>
>
> Of course its attitudes like that which leads them to have to set up their
> own mailing lists, and contribute to the rather low count of women on the
> kernel credits

And makes some men wish they weren't...guilt by association and
all that.

Hmm, I should probably catch up on my linuxchix folders actually.

--
Chris "_Shad0w_" Crowther
[email protected]