2001-03-14 06:36:39

by Dalton Calford

Subject: DPT Driver Status

I have searched the archives, hunted through the adaptec site, tried
multiple patches, compilers, revisions.....

I have a DPT/Adaptec DPT RAID V century card. This has been a topic of
much discussion in the past on this list.

What I have found is that almost every file I find has a patch that is 6
months old at best.

I even contacted Deanna Bonds at Adaptec, but she has been unresponsive.

Does anyone have a working patch for the 2.2.18 kernel?
What is the most stable version of the kernel for the use of the patch?

Has the native i2o driver been updated to handle what the dpt card is
doing?

thanks in advance

Dalton

2001-03-14 13:03:18

by Marko Kreen

Subject: Re: DPT Driver Status

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:32:18AM -0500, Dalton Calford wrote:
> I have searched the archives, hunted through the adaptec site, tried
> multiple patches, compilers, revisions.....

Me too...

> I have a DPT/Adaptec DPT RAID V century card. This has been a topic of
> much discussion in the past on this list.
>
> What I have found is that almost every file I find has a patch that is 6
> months old at best.

When I last contacted them, couple of months ago, through
I-dunno-how-many-middle[wo]men they assured that
"driver is in developement" and "soon we make a release"...

> I even contacted Deanna Bonds at Adaptec, but she has been unresponsive.
>
> Does anyone have a working patch for the 2.2.18 kernel?
> What is the most stable version of the kernel for the use of the patch?

I have ported the 1.14 version of the driver to 2.2.18.
Basically converted their idea of patching with cp to
normal diff and dropped all reverse changes.

http://www.l-t.ee/marko/linux/dpt114-2.2.18p22.diff.gz

It was for pre22 but applies cleanly to final 2.2.18.
The other soft was most current in valinux site:

http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/mirrors/dpt/

> Has the native i2o driver been updated to handle what the dpt card is
> doing?

No, the DPT driver has not been updated to native Linux i2o.

Note: the driver compiles only with gcc 2.7.2.3, (dunno about
egcs). 2.95.2 makes it acting weird. I do not know if
thats gcc or driver problem.

--
marko

2001-03-14 23:36:28

by Omar Kilani

Subject: Adaptec/DPT RAID Drivers [Was: Re: DPT Driver Status]

Marko/Dalton/Unfortunate person searching for working DPT drivers,

I too once felt your pain.
Searched far and wide, etc.
But then I stumbled upon ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next/
Which has patches for everything you could ever want, all integrated, if
you choose them to be.
Anyway, inside those .tgz's was version 2.0 of the DPT I2O drivers.
I've separated them from the .tgz, and stuck them up here:

Kernel 2.2.18:
http://aurore.net/source/dpt_i2o-2.0-2.2.18.gz

Kernel 2.4.2
http://aurore.net/source/dpt_i2o-2.0-2.4.2.gz

Try 'em! :-) Not sure how they compare to Markos' version.
I exchanged my ASR2100S for a Mylex AcceleRAID 170 - because DAC960 support
is so much better ;-) and I loved reading through the DAC960 sources - so
clean and easy to understand!

Regards,
Omar Kilani

At 03:15 PM 3/14/01 +0200, Marko Kreen wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:32:18AM -0500, Dalton Calford wrote:
> > I have searched the archives, hunted through the adaptec site, tried
> > multiple patches, compilers, revisions.....
>
>Me too...
>

> > I have a DPT/Adaptec DPT RAID V century card. This has been a topic of
> > much discussion in the past on this list.
> >
> > What I have found is that almost every file I find has a patch that is 6
> > months old at best.
>
>When I last contacted them, couple of months ago, through
>I-dunno-how-many-middle[wo]men they assured that
>"driver is in developement" and "soon we make a release"...
>
> > I even contacted Deanna Bonds at Adaptec, but she has been unresponsive.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working patch for the 2.2.18 kernel?
> > What is the most stable version of the kernel for the use of the patch?
>
>I have ported the 1.14 version of the driver to 2.2.18.
>Basically converted their idea of patching with cp to
>normal diff and dropped all reverse changes.
>
> http://www.l-t.ee/marko/linux/dpt114-2.2.18p22.diff.gz
>
>It was for pre22 but applies cleanly to final 2.2.18.
>The other soft was most current in valinux site:
>
> http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/mirrors/dpt/
>
> > Has the native i2o driver been updated to handle what the dpt card is
> > doing?
>
>No, the DPT driver has not been updated to native Linux i2o.
>
>Note: the driver compiles only with gcc 2.7.2.3, (dunno about
>egcs). 2.95.2 makes it acting weird. I do not know if
>thats gcc or driver problem.
>
>--
>marko
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Alan

> Does anyone have a working patch for the 2.2.18 kernel?
> What is the most stable version of the kernel for the use of the patch?
>
> Has the native i2o driver been updated to handle what the dpt card is
> doing?

I tried, I never managed to get the board and our i2o driver to be happy. As
far as I could tell the board was the problem end but its never easy to be 100%
sure about such things

Alan

2001-03-22 05:29:43

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

I've got a SmartCACHE IV...This driver seems not to recognize it.

I applied it to 2.4.2...the patch didn't apply cleanly, however.
I was able to manually patch the makefile to build the drivers for the
card however, but it still didn't want to work.

In any case, if you have any insight on this I'd much appreciate it, as
I'd like to get the card into production ASAP.

Thanks!

-Kelsey

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Omar Kilani wrote:

> Marko/Dalton/Unfortunate person searching for working DPT drivers,
>
> I too once felt your pain.
> Searched far and wide, etc.
> But then I stumbled upon ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next/
> Which has patches for everything you could ever want, all integrated, if
> you choose them to be.
> Anyway, inside those .tgz's was version 2.0 of the DPT I2O drivers.
> I've separated them from the .tgz, and stuck them up here:
>
> Kernel 2.2.18:
> http://aurore.net/source/dpt_i2o-2.0-2.2.18.gz
>
> Kernel 2.4.2
> http://aurore.net/source/dpt_i2o-2.0-2.4.2.gz
>
> Try 'em! :-) Not sure how they compare to Markos' version.
> I exchanged my ASR2100S for a Mylex AcceleRAID 170 - because DAC960 support
> is so much better ;-) and I loved reading through the DAC960 sources - so
> clean and easy to understand!
>
> Regards,
> Omar Kilani
>
> At 03:15 PM 3/14/01 +0200, Marko Kreen wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:32:18AM -0500, Dalton Calford wrote:
> > > I have searched the archives, hunted through the adaptec site, tried
> > > multiple patches, compilers, revisions.....
> >
> >Me too...
> >

> > > I have a DPT/Adaptec DPT RAID V century card. This has been a topic of
> > > much discussion in the past on this list.
> > >
> > > What I have found is that almost every file I find has a patch that is 6
> > > months old at best.
> >
> >When I last contacted them, couple of months ago, through
> >I-dunno-how-many-middle[wo]men they assured that
> >"driver is in developement" and "soon we make a release"...
> >
> > > I even contacted Deanna Bonds at Adaptec, but she has been unresponsive.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a working patch for the 2.2.18 kernel?
> > > What is the most stable version of the kernel for the use of the patch?
> >
> >I have ported the 1.14 version of the driver to 2.2.18.
> >Basically converted their idea of patching with cp to
> >normal diff and dropped all reverse changes.
> >
> > http://www.l-t.ee/marko/linux/dpt114-2.2.18p22.diff.gz
> >
> >It was for pre22 but applies cleanly to final 2.2.18.
> >The other soft was most current in valinux site:
> >
> > http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/mirrors/dpt/
> >
> > > Has the native i2o driver been updated to handle what the dpt card is
> > > doing?
> >
> >No, the DPT driver has not been updated to native Linux i2o.
> >
> >Note: the driver compiles only with gcc 2.7.2.3, (dunno about
> >egcs). 2.95.2 makes it acting weird. I do not know if
> >thats gcc or driver problem.
> >
> >--
> >marko
> >
> >-
> >the body of a message to [email protected]
> >More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> >Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
> -

Kelsey Hudson [email protected]
Software Engineer
Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771

by Dr. Kelsey Hudson

I've got a DPT SmartCACHE IV with the raid adaptor... I'd like to get it
working eventually. If you point me in the right direction I'll see if I
can get that pesky driver to work, and even port over some code if need
be....all someone has to do is point me towards documnentation and I'll
make it work.

thanks,
kelsey

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:27:47PM -0800, Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:
> I've got a SmartCACHE IV...This driver seems not to recognize it.

It is not supposed to. For DPT .* I - IV use CONFIG_SCSI_EATA
'EATA ISA/EISA/PCI (DPT and generic EATA/DMA-compliant boards)'
option.

--
marko

2001-03-22 21:03:18

by Jacek Lipkowski

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Omar Kilani wrote:

> Kernel 2.4.2
> http://aurore.net/source/dpt_i2o-2.0-2.4.2.gz

i also have a patched linux-2.4.2-ac20 tree for my own use at
ftp://acid.ch.pw.edu.pl/pub/sq5bpf/linux-2.4.2-ac20+dpt.tar.gz that
supports dpt smartraid V (i found a patch for 2.4.0-pre6 and hand patched
it in). it seems to work with my ISP2150 (didn't crash yet :), after
compiling with egcs 1.1.2 (some people warned about using anything else
than gcc 2.7.2.3).

the only caveat is that if you set the ramsize 49152, root flags to 0 etc
so it loads a floppy after a prompt, the dpt controller (and eepro100
that was also compiled in) gets initialised _after_ the root floppy is
loaded. i'm not sure if this is a bug with the dpt patch or with the
original kernel (will check tomorrow).

jacek