2001-03-26 15:50:52

by Theodoor Scholte

Subject: Compiling problem kernel 2.4.2

Hello,

I have a problem with compiling kernel-2.4.2. When I want to make a bzImage
on a RedHat Linux 5.2 box,
then I get this error-message:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -02
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=i486 -c -o init/main.o
init/main.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -02
fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=i486
-DUTS_MACHINE='"i386"' -c -o init/version.o init/version.c
cpp: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h: Input/output error
init/version.c:20: `UTS_VERSION' undeclared here (not in a function)
init/version.c:20: initializer element for `system_utsname.version' is not
constant
init/version.c:25: parse error before `LINUX_COMPILE_BY'
make: *** [init/version.o] Error 1

I have installed these software revisions:
GNU C egcs-2.91.66
GNU make 3.78.1
binutils 2.9.5.0.22-6
util-linux 2.10f
modutils 2.4.2
e2fsprogs 1.19

What is the solution for this problem? On a Slackware 7.1-box with the same
software-revisions I have no problems with compiling kernel 2.4.2.

Thanks in advance,

Theodoor Scholte

2001-03-26 16:12:03

by Tobias Ringstrom

Subject: Re: Compiling problem kernel 2.4.2

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Theodoor Scholte wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with compiling kernel-2.4.2. When I want to make a bzImage
> on a RedHat Linux 5.2 box,
> then I get this error-message:

> [...]

> cpp: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h: Input/output error

Disk full? Bad disk?

/Tobias

2001-03-26 16:33:03

by Theodoor Scholte

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a problem with compiling kernel-2.4.2. When I want to make a bzImage
> > on a RedHat Linux 5.2 box,
> > then I get this error-message:
>
> > [...]
>
> >> cpp: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h: Input/output error
>
>Disk full? Bad disk?

No, that is not the problem. The disk is is in a very good health and the
disk is certainly not full. I compile the kernel over an nfs-mapping. The
mapping is good.

2001-03-26 18:47:33

by Theodoor Scholte

>And you always get exactly this message? What happens if you run
> cat /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h

This is the output of cat /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h :
#define UTS_VERSION "#1 SMP Sun Mar 25 21:51:51 CEST 2001"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_TIME "21:51:51"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_BY "root"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_HOST "server"
#define LINUX_COMPILE_DOMAIN "scholte.nl"
#define LINUX_COMPILER "gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2
release)"

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h count=10

This is the output of dd if=/dev/zero
of=/usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h count=10 :
10+0 records in
10+0 records out

>Have you checked /var/log/messages (or dmesg) for relevant messages?

There are no relevant messsages in that file.

2001-03-26 21:23:27

by Tobias Ringstrom

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Theodoor Scholte wrote:

> There are no relevant messsages in that file.

Strange, but I bet that you can compile again, right? (Just remove the
broken compile.h that the dd command created) Must have been an NFS
fluke, and without any more precise error messages, there is not much to
do, unless you can reproduce it.

/Tobias

2001-03-27 19:58:30

by Theodoor Scholte

At 23:23 26-3-01 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Theodoor Scholte wrote:
>
> > There are no relevant messsages in that file.
>
>Strange, but I bet that you can compile again, right? (Just remove the
>broken compile.h that the dd command created) Must have been an NFS
>fluke, and without any more precise error messages, there is not much to
>do, unless you can reproduce it.

The problem is occuring over and over again! Shall I have to compile the
kernel and
modules on another system and then copy it to the system which has to be
upgraded with
the new kernel (and modules)?

2001-04-04 19:10:07

by Boris Pisarcik

> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -02
> -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=i486 -c -o init/main.o
> init/main.c
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -02
> fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=i486
> -DUTS_MACHINE='"i386"' -c -o init/version.o init/version.c
> cpp: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compile.h: Input/output error
> init/version.c:20: `UTS_VERSION' undeclared here (not in a function)
> init/version.c:20: initializer element for `system_utsname.version' is not
> constant
> init/version.c:25: parse error before `LINUX_COMPILE_BY'
> make: *** [init/version.o] Error 1

Hi.

-02 mean -O2 ?

Do you comile over NFS ? Did you try it to local-compile , or compile
on another system version ? It really
may be nfs or some system bug, if you compile on some old system (what kernel
version did you compile on ? They me differ on slack and redhat machines.)

I recently had a bug with gnu assembler, which could safely compile all
files a tried, but not the ones that consisted of any combination
3 chars name+1 char suffix.
Really interesting bug too.

Bye B.