2001-10-09 21:00:24

by German Gomez Garcia

Subject: More on the 760MP

Hello,

I'm currently running 2.4.10-ac10 on a Tyan Tiger MP with dual
Athlon 1.4 (Thunderbird), I'm having no important problems (I don't know
about UDMA100), but I'm having problems with the noapic option (that
appears in the boot log to correct an AMD errata). although I set it and
it appears in the /proc/cmdline that message stills apears. Also I'm
unable to get correct readings with lm_sensors (CVS), I've been enable
to detect the w83781d chip using the i2c-amd756 SMbus but half of the
times the kernel hangs up when loading this module. Also when I lspci
I get lots of unkown devices.

I've attached both the boot log and the output of lspci -vvv.

If you need more info just tell me, I'll try my best.

Regards,

- german

German Gomez Garcia | Send email with "SEND GPG KEY" as subject
<[email protected]> | to receive my GnuPG public key.

Attachments:
boot.log.gz (3.78 kB)
lspci.out.gz (1.29 kB)

by Dan Hollis

Subject: Re: More on the 760MP

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> it appears in the /proc/cmdline that message stills apears.
> Also I'm unable to get correct readings with lm_sensors (CVS), I've been
> enable to detect the w83781d chip using the i2c-amd756 SMbus but half of
> the times the kernel hangs up when loading this module.

1) You need to enable ACPI in bios for sensors to work.
2) There's a bug in w83781d driver which causes the hang:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket=670
The fix described at the bottom does work for me.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

2001-10-09 21:32:53

by German Gomez Garcia

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> > it appears in the /proc/cmdline that message stills apears.
> > Also I'm unable to get correct readings with lm_sensors (CVS), I've been
> > enable to detect the w83781d chip using the i2c-amd756 SMbus but half of
> > the times the kernel hangs up when loading this module.
>
> 1) You need to enable ACPI in bios for sensors to work.

What about the kernel? must I enable it there too?

> 2) There's a bug in w83781d driver which causes the hang:
> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket=670
> The fix described at the bottom does work for me.

Yes, it also works for me, now I can load the w83781d and I get
the wrong results, the same that I get if I use motherboard monitor
under windows, so I suppose it has something to do with the Tiger MP
itself.

-german

German Gomez Garcia | Send email with "SEND GPG KEY" as subject
<[email protected]> | to receive my GnuPG public key.

2001-10-09 21:37:04

by Dan Hollis

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> > > it appears in the /proc/cmdline that message stills apears.
> > > Also I'm unable to get correct readings with lm_sensors (CVS), I've been
> > > enable to detect the w83781d chip using the i2c-amd756 SMbus but half of
> > > the times the kernel hangs up when loading this module.
> > 1) You need to enable ACPI in bios for sensors to work.
> What about the kernel? must I enable it there too?

No. You don't need it in kernel.

> > 2) There's a bug in w83781d driver which causes the hang:
> > http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket=670
> > The fix described at the bottom does work for me.
> Yes, it also works for me, now I can load the w83781d and I get
> the wrong results, the same that I get if I use motherboard monitor
> under windows, so I suppose it has something to do with the Tiger MP
> itself.

The CPU temperatures use thermal diode of different type than the default,
you must change it through proc or sensors.conf. Also I believe there is a
temperature offset.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

2001-10-09 22:21:15

by German Gomez Garcia

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> > > 1) You need to enable ACPI in bios for sensors to work.
> > What about the kernel? must I enable it there too?
>
> No. You don't need it in kernel.

Well, I must include it in the kernel to make it work, if I don't
it detects a w83627hf instead of the w83782d, and it is unable to set it
up on the bus:

i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825)
w83781d.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
i2c-core.o: driver W83781D sensor driver registered.
i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).
i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 3).
w83781d.o: Subclient 0 registration at address 0x49 failed.

then I get incorrect readings for the every sensors 1 goes up to
77?, 2 goes down to 12?, and 3 goes really down to 0?

If I include it in the kernel I get the following:

i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825)
w83781d.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
i2c-core.o: driver W83781D sensor driver registered.
i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).

And after changing the type of the sensor to 2 (3904 transistor)
it works perfectly, no temp offset, at least it reports the same than the
BIOS (well I cannot be sure of that, but it doesn't differ more than one
or two degrees).

Yeaahh!! that's outstanding online support, anybody still think
that paid support is better than friendly penguins? :-D
I'll start burn-testing this box now that I have some way to
check temperature.

Regards and great thanks!

- german

German Gomez Garcia | Send email with "SEND GPG KEY" as subject
<[email protected]> | to receive my GnuPG public key.

2001-10-14 20:52:13

by Willem Riede

I'm not having much luck with this :-(

I also have a Tyan Tiger MP, and have built a 2.4.10-ac12 based kernel
for it. Actually, I modified the Rawhide kernel SRPM to use linux-2.4.10
and the ac12 patch, as I run ext3 and software raid installed by RedHat's
Roswell beta, and I need to stay compatible with that; then made and
installed the athlon-smp RPM.

It contains 2.6.1 for i2c, and I generated the patch for lm_sensors
2.6.1 to replace the older patch for lm_sensors in the SRPM.

The i2c-amd756 module hangs my kernel too, but you seem to have it
work without it? I don't get anything detected without i2c-amd756.
This is what the log messages say (but I have to reboot to read them):

Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-amd756.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-dev.o: Registered 'SMBus AMD7X6 adapter
at 80e0' as minor 1
Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered
to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).

Or is it this module (i2c-amd756) that you say must be included in the
kernel to make 'it' work (English is so ambiguous :-))?

One more question if you don't mind: do you (still) have to first
read the sensors in the BIOS before booting? If I do that, for some
reason, I don't get my grub boot screen after exiting setup, instead
the board tries to boot off the lan; I ctrl-atl-del out of that, and
then things are back to normal, but that soft reset probably undid
whatever reading the sensors in the bios changed :-(
Any other settings in the bios that matter?

Thanks, Willem Riede.

On 2001.10.09 18:20 German Gomez Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> I've been
> half of
> > > What about the kernel? must I enable it there too?
> >
> > No. You don't need it in kernel.
>
> Well, I must include it in the kernel to make it work, if I don't
> it detects a w83627hf instead of the w83782d, and it is unable to set it
> up on the bus:
>
> i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825)
> w83781d.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
> i2c-core.o: driver W83781D sensor driver registered.
> i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6
> adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
> i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus
> AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
> i2c-core.o: client [W83627HF subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus
> AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).
> i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6
> adapter at 80e0](pos. 3).
> w83781d.o: Subclient 0 registration at address 0x49 failed.
>
> then I get incorrect readings for the every sensors 1 goes up to
> 77?, 2 goes down to 12?, and 3 goes really down to 0?
>
> If I include it in the kernel I get the following:
>
> i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825)
> w83781d.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
> i2c-core.o: driver W83781D sensor driver registered.
> i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6
> adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
> i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus
> AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
> i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient] registered to adapter [SMBus
> AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).
>
> And after changing the type of the sensor to 2 (3904 transistor)
> it works perfectly, no temp offset, at least it reports the same than the
> BIOS (well I cannot be sure of that, but it doesn't differ more than one
> or two degrees).
>
> Yeaahh!! that's outstanding online support, anybody still think
> that paid support is better than friendly penguins? :-D
> I'll start burn-testing this box now that I have some way to
> check temperature.
>
> Regards and great thanks!
>
> - german

> in

by German Gomez Garcia

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Willem Riede wrote:

> I'm not having much luck with this :-(
>
> I also have a Tyan Tiger MP, and have built a 2.4.10-ac12 based kernel
> for it. Actually, I modified the Rawhide kernel SRPM to use linux-2.4.10
> and the ac12 patch, as I run ext3 and software raid installed by RedHat's
> Roswell beta, and I need to stay compatible with that; then made and
> installed the athlon-smp RPM.
>
> It contains 2.6.1 for i2c, and I generated the patch for lm_sensors
> 2.6.1 to replace the older patch for lm_sensors in the SRPM.
>
> The i2c-amd756 module hangs my kernel too, but you seem to have it
> work without it? I don't get anything detected without i2c-amd756.
> This is what the log messages say (but I have to reboot to read them):
>
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-amd756.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-dev.o: Registered 'SMBus AMD7X6 adapter
> at 80e0' as minor 1
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered
> to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
> registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
> registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).
>
> Or is it this module (i2c-amd756) that you say must be included in the
> kernel to make 'it' work (English is so ambiguous :-))?

No, you can compile it as a module, you need to insert manually it
(modprobe) or better modify modules.conf so it gets inserted automatically
when loading i2c. The problem with the machine hanging up was resolved
as Dan Hollis suggested comenting the initialization routine (I mean
the content of the routine, the routine must exist).

> One more question if you don't mind: do you (still) have to first
> read the sensors in the BIOS before booting? If I do that, for some
> reason, I don't get my grub boot screen after exiting setup, instead
> the board tries to boot off the lan; I ctrl-atl-del out of that, and
> then things are back to normal, but that soft reset probably undid
> whatever reading the sensors in the bios changed :-(
> Any other settings in the bios that matter?

Uhmm, I don't know if reading the sensors in the BIOS would
make it work better, but I must make a sensors -s before reading, if not
I'll get that 70?C ... the same that you get when you enter the BIOS
until you press a key.

It's important to change the type of thermal sensor to
3904 transistor ( set sensor1 2 ....) if not you won't get the right
temperatures.

- german

German Gomez Garcia | Send email with "SEND GPG KEY" as subject
<[email protected]> | to receive my GnuPG public key.

2001-10-14 21:45:56

by Stephen Frost

* German Gomez Garcia ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Willem Riede wrote:
>
> It's important to change the type of thermal sensor to
> 3904 transistor ( set sensor1 2 ....) if not you won't get the right
> temperatures.

Can you put up your sensors.conf file online somewhere so I/we
can take a look at it? Perhaps your insmod line(s) as well and
the patch done to lm-sensors... It'd be very useful to many of
us I think as I am trying to go through the steps to get
lm-sensors working for my on my Thunder S2462 board.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachments:
(No filename) (571.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by German Gomez Garcia

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * German Gomez Garcia ([email protected]) wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Willem Riede wrote:
> >
> > It's important to change the type of thermal sensor to
> > 3904 transistor ( set sensor1 2 ....) if not you won't get the right
> > temperatures.
>
> Can you put up your sensors.conf file online somewhere so I/we
> can take a look at it? Perhaps your insmod line(s) as well and
> the patch done to lm-sensors... It'd be very useful to many of
> us I think as I am trying to go through the steps to get
> lm-sensors working for my on my Thunder S2462 board.

You can get everything at:

http://www.piraos.com/~german/sensors

Sorry for the delay but the server is in fact in the dual athlon,
and I'm recompiling everything.

Regards,

- german

German Gomez Garcia | Send email with "SEND GPG KEY" as subject
<[email protected]> | to receive my GnuPG public key.

2001-10-15 14:32:24

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Mon, 2001-10-15 16:01:34 +0200, German Gomez Garcia <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

[lmsensor config for Dual Athlon board by Tyan]

> You can get everything at:
>
> http://www.piraos.com/~german/sensors

Thanks, but sensors.conf seems to be broken. The file I downloaded
ended with:
set in6_min -5 * 0.95
set in6_max -5 * 1.05
set in7_min 5 * 0.95
set in7_ma

Btw., where do you have the "compute" statements taken from?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw . [email protected] . +49-172-7608481

2001-10-16 22:41:30

by Roy-Magne Mo

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 04:49:13PM -0400, Willem Riede wrote:
> I'm not having much luck with this :-(
>
> I also have a Tyan Tiger MP, and have built a 2.4.10-ac12 based kernel
> for it. Actually, I modified the Rawhide kernel SRPM to use linux-2.4.10
> and the ac12 patch, as I run ext3 and software raid installed by RedHat's
> Roswell beta, and I need to stay compatible with that; then made and
> installed the athlon-smp RPM.
>
> It contains 2.6.1 for i2c, and I generated the patch for lm_sensors
> 2.6.1 to replace the older patch for lm_sensors in the SRPM.
>
> The i2c-amd756 module hangs my kernel too, but you seem to have it
> work without it? I don't get anything detected without i2c-amd756.
> This is what the log messages say (but I have to reboot to read them):
>
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-amd756.o version 2.6.1 (20010830)
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-dev.o: Registered 'SMBus AMD7X6 adapter
> at 80e0' as minor 1
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D chip] registered
> to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 0).
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
> registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 1).
> Oct 14 16:17:16 linnie kernel: i2c-core.o: client [W83782D subclient]
> registered to adapter [SMBus AMD7X6 adapter at 80e0](pos. 2).
>
> Or is it this module (i2c-amd756) that you say must be included in the
> kernel to make 'it' work (English is so ambiguous :-))?
>
> One more question if you don't mind: do you (still) have to first
> read the sensors in the BIOS before booting? If I do that, for some
> reason, I don't get my grub boot screen after exiting setup, instead
> the board tries to boot off the lan; I ctrl-atl-del out of that, and
> then things are back to normal, but that soft reset probably undid
> whatever reading the sensors in the bios changed :-(
> Any other settings in the bios that matter?

I've turned on APIC in bios and kernel, set all parallel ports and
serial ports to auto in BIOS and removed support parllel ports in the
kernel. I'm now able to insert the drivers unpatched from lm_sensors
cvs-version.

Seems like it's the autoprobing in the parallel driver that messes it
up.

--
carpe noctem